cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eventsteam
Community Participant

Mobile State of the Union

Home.pngSchedule.pngFood & Fun.pngPartners.pngHelp & FAQ.png

183423_Keystone Resort Colorado 2016-04-22 16-26-172.pngMap_PlaceholderPresenter:

Instructure Engineers

Institution:

Instructure

Audience:
Higher Education/K-12

Description:

The Canvas mobile app suite is shifting towards role-centric experiences in 2016. Come and learn about how the transition is going, and find out what it means for you.

183424_landscape.jpgComment and connect below
Tags (1)
8 Replies
cbarger
Community Participant

Great session. Looking forward to what's to come in the mobile world. Fantastic presentation!

dhulsey
Community Champion

@peytoncraighill ,

Could you answer a few questions that I did not get a chance to ask in the presentation?

1. How would a learning mastery gradebook function with the parent app?
  2. Will I be able to see a student's current grade for the course in the teacher app?
  3. Will the functionality of teacher tools be rolled into the teacher app?
  4. If not, will you at least leave teacher tools as it is so that I can use it?
  5. Which app will be most appropriate for a TA to use?

Thanks!

britain_woodman
Community Participant

Super sad I missed this, I was at the Unizin summit. I'm curious about the future of the Speedgrader iPad app so I may seek you out in the hallway!

biray
Community Champion

@britain_woodman ​ - don't be sad. First, of all,  @klundstrum ​ did a great job documenting the session take-aways in her blog post: Mobile State of the Union - Recap

And in a few weeks, all the videos from the sessions will be posted online!

Smiley Happy

peytoncraighill
Instructure
Instructure

I spoke with Dallas a little bit about this over lunch at InstructureCon, but I'll also respond here for anyone else who's interested.

• How would a learning mastery gradebook function with the parent app?
    • For the time being, Canvas Parent won't support Learning Mastery Gradebook -- only the traditional Canvas gradebook. If it turns out that a Learning Mastery Gradebook integration is highly requested, we will look into it.
  • Will I be able to see a student's current grade for the course in the teacher app?
    • Yes.
  • Will the functionality of teacher tools be rolled into the teacher app?
    • At some point, yes. Incorporating SpeedGrader and Teacher Tools and MagicMarker functionality into Canvas Teacher makes a lot of sense. We'd like for people in any number of roles to get the Canvas mobile experience they need from a single app.
  • If not, will you at least leave teacher tools as it is so that I can use it?
    • We don't plan to get rid of Teacher Tools without some replacement for it in Canvas Teacher. (Note: Teacher Tools is only available on Android today; Canvas Teacher will exist for both iOS and Android.)
  • Which app will be most appropriate for a TA to use?
    • The plan for now is to limit Canvas Teacher to teachers (i.e., user logs in and we display only the courses in which they are enrolled as a teacher). We want to try and get the teacher's experience down before we open it up to others. This will also impact timing for incorporating other teacher-centric apps into Canvas Teacher (if we've got teaching assistants using SpeedGrader in mobile, we'd like them to be able to continue doing that).
amcase
Community Participant

I was unable to attend this session, so does anyone know when the apps will be released?

rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

Parent App: Beta "soon", release soon after that

Teacher App: sometime in 2017

Student App: more updates later in the year

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This session recording is now available here: