How do I use a Mastery Connect tracker in a Canvas course?
If your institution uses Canvas LMS, you can link a Mastery Tracker to a Canvas course. You can also create Mastery Connect assessments from within a Canvas course, which creates an assignment in the Canvas course. Trackers can be linked to single Canvas courses as well as cross-listed courses with multiple sections.
Once this connection is made, you will have access to the Mastery Tracker in your Canvas course. This includes access to mastery data, assessments built with 3rd-party item banks, and tools to support competency-based learning.
- In order to link a mastery tracker to your Canvas course, your Instructure Customer Success Manager (CSM) must first set up an LTI connection between your instances of Canvas and Mastery Connect. If you do not see the Mastery Tracker link in your Canvas Course Navigation, contact your CSM.
- Parents with a Mastery Connect account may be able to view their student's Mastery Connect trackers and assignments in Canvas if this feature is enabled in their district.
- If you edit your Mastery Tracker or your Canvas course, your tracker and course will automatically sync overnight. If your tracker and course need to sync immediately, you can sync them manually.
- If necessary, you can unlink a tracker or move a tracker to another course.
Open Canvas Course
Log in to your Canvas account.
To log into your Mastery Connect account from Canvas, in the Global Navigation menu, click the Mastery link .
To enter your course, in the Global Navigation menu, click the Courses link . Then click the course name link .
Note: If the course is not listed, select the All Courses link , then click the title of your course.
Link Mastery Tracker to Course
In the Course Navigation menu, click the Mastery Tracker link .
Click the Link Mastery Tracker button .
Note: If you do not see the Mastery Tracker link in your Canvas Course Navigation, you can enable it in the course navigation settings. If it is not listed there, contact your CSM.
Select Linking Option
Select a tracker source from the Select Source drop-down menu . You can choose to create a new tracker from a standard set , create a new tracker from a curriculum map , link an existing tracker , or link a tracker from another Canvas course .
After making your selection and providing any additional information needed for your selected method, click the Link button .
Note: Users can only link an existing Mastery Connect tracker to a Canvas course if the tracker's SIS section matches the Canvas course.
View Tracker in Course
If you link an existing tracker, any previously added students display in the Students column .
To add an assessment to the tracker, click the Add Assessment button .
To view or score assessments for a standard, hover the cursor over standard title  and click the Assess link .
- Creating a Mastery Connect assessment from your tracker in Canvas automatically creates a Canvas assignment.
- When a student completes the linked assignment, the assignment score displays in the Canvas gradebook.
- You can edit your Mastery Tracker directly in Canvas.
In the Tracker toolbar, you can filter students , customize tracker display options , customize tracker tools and accommodations , customize tracker settings , or view more options .