cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bgustin
Community Participant

Student View

More of a logic error then a run time error, however, when using Student View to look at Quizzes.Next it records the Student View "student" as a real student and then includes them in the quiz analytic.

Tags (1)
6 Replies
kdougherty1
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @bgustin ‌,

Student View in Canvas masquerades as a student, so much so that an LTI tool believes it is a real student. We are evaluating a few features that would help avoid this behavior but unfortunately I cannot offer you a workaround suggestion at this time.

I regret the inconvenience this causes and appreciate that you've taken the time to report it.

-

Kevin Dougherty

Assoc. Product Manager, Assessments

Instructure

cms_hickss
Community Contributor

@kdougherty1 ‌, is this why even if you reset student view QuizzesNext keeps the attempt and then insists that a "student" has taken the quiz?

Hi cms_hickss,

Yes, since an LTI tool is a separate system in many ways, the reset in of the "test student" in Canvas doesn't result in a reset within Quizzes.Next for the "test student." This is why you will see a message about the "test student" having taken the quiz already.

-

Kevin Dougherty

Assoc. Product Manager, Assessments

Instructure

cms_hickss
Community Contributor

@kdougherty1 , will this be changed in the future? Especially since right now the only way to test or preview a quiz without the answers showing (and in the order you typed them in) is by using the current student view feature.

Hi cms_hickss‌,

We understand this is an important part of designing the assessment. The ability to preview an assessment will be improved.

Sylvia_Ami
Community Contributor

Is there any updated on this? @bgustin brought this up over 3 years ago. Then @kdougherty1 said it would be improved. Now in July 2021, I don’t see that anything has changed.

I’m glad that we are told this in the Canvas Guide: How do I preview an assessment in New Quizzes?  “You should use Assessment Preview to preview and test assessments instead of using the test student in your course. Assessments taken as the test student cannot be reset and will appear in New Quizzes reports.

Not including Test Student in the quiz analysis data would be super helpful. I like to do a lot of testing in my quizzes, answer everything correct, incorrect, look at the various types of feedback, etc.

• If I Preview a quiz and then leave the results page, I can’t go back and view the results again.
  • But if I use the Student View method to take a quiz, the results are included in the item analysis reports.