cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
timothy_maw
Community Champion

Will you be able to moderate attempts for quizzes.next?

Jump to solution

One of the important features for us right now is the ability to moderate attempts in quizzes. There are times we need to add an extra attempt for a certain student. I have not been able to find this ability for quizzes.next. Will the ability to add an extra attempt on a student by student basis be added?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jsparks
Instructure
Instructure

This is a known issue and will be fixed prior to general availability. As this is a pre-release beta/preview of the new assessment engine, there will be some issues encountered.  We are working hard to address them--this issue included. There is a Canvas issue with a tool called the address book that affects our moderation panel.  We are working with the appropriate team to address this matter.

We truly appreciate your patience as we hone the tools for general availability.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @timothy_maw ‌

Moderation already exists in Quizzes LTI, albeit a tad bit buggy, But currently it appears that only time limits can be modified. See Screenshot below for location of Moderation......

256680_pastedImage_1.png

I agree that attempts must be included in Moderation before I can roll this out at our school.

I have noticed moderation to an extent and you are right it is a bit buggy. We really need to have the ability to add extra attempts through moderation in order for this to help us out her too.

cesbrandt
Community Champion

@timothy_maw , I have to concur with  @kmeeusen  that the moderation functionality seems to be severely lacking. A fairly major concern for us is the inability to "properly" work in a quiz after a user, any user, has accessed it without edit rights. This includes the "Student View" user, as it does not seem that resetting the account or changing who the quiz is applicable to is entirely effective in clearing the attempts.

I suspect that Kelley is correct about Quizzes.Next needed to have the moderation functionality expanded upon before the LTI makes it out of Beta, and I wouldn't be surprised if the developers agree. As Kelley put it, it's "a tad bit buggy."

jsparks
Instructure
Instructure

This is a known issue and will be fixed prior to general availability. As this is a pre-release beta/preview of the new assessment engine, there will be some issues encountered.  We are working hard to address them--this issue included. There is a Canvas issue with a tool called the address book that affects our moderation panel.  We are working with the appropriate team to address this matter.

We truly appreciate your patience as we hone the tools for general availability.

View solution in original post

Thanks again, Jason!

timothy_maw
Community Champion

I am so glad to hear that this one of the things you are currently working on. Thanks for the reply.

lbarry
Community Participant

We would also love to see this become available soon. At the moment the lack of moderating attempts combined with not being able to duplicate quizzes.next quizzes (am I right?) causes the need to have to create a whole new quiz for an extra attempt by copying questions one by one into a question bank and then into a new quiz (for example, if a student accidentally opens the quiz for a millisecond and closes it again, blowing their one attempt). 

Does anyone know of a simpler workaround at the moment, though?

Hi  @lbarry ‌,

A student's attempt can be resumed if they accidentally opens the assessment and closes it again without having submitted. Here is some documentation written for the student that discusses the ability to resume an attempt: How do I take an assessment in Quizzes.Next? 

At this time you have identified the workaround that ensures the most control. You could also allow multiple attempts for an assessment and use the Moderate page to review which students have submitted more than a single attempt.

-

Kevin Dougherty

Assoc. Product Manager, Assessments

Instructure

lbarry
Community Participant

Thanks Kevin,

I found your suggestion to use the moderation page to review who submitted more than a single attempt helpful. If I remember correctly, one would be able to set up the quiz to automatically only consider the first attempts grade, am I right? This could potentially work well for many instructors who have no issue with students re-taking the quiz for their own enrichment and practice but not for credit.

However, on the first point you mentioned, with a timed quiz, wouldn't the timer start running and keep running once the quiz is first opened so that the time allocated for the attempt is spent by the next time the student returns? If not, what would prevent a student opening the quiz, examining all the questions, closing it, looking up the answers, and then resuming?