What is Canvas Student ePortfolios?

Canvas Student ePortfolios is an academic portfolio network allowing you to showcase your education and work accomplishments and connect with other professionals. Your Canvas Student ePortfolios profile allows you to organize and display previous educational and professional content. You can upload images, Videos (YouTube, Vimeo), PDFs, text documents, and more to your portfolio.

Canvas Student ePortfolios allows you to connect with people and companies you already know, as well as follow companies you are interested in. You can discover and apply for jobs and add specific pieces of content to showcase your qualifications. You can also view content posted by other users to discover how they accomplished their work, you can like their content, and comment or message them for advice.

Note: This lesson displays how to use Canvas Student ePortfolios in your user account. If ePortfolios in your user account displays differently than the images in this lesson, learn how to use Canvas ePortfolios.

Build Your Identity

Begin on the Canvas Student ePortfolios profile page where you can introduce yourself and add information about your educational and work history, affiliations, and accomplishments.

What educational content should I add to my portfolio?

• Coursework samples
  • Writing samples
  • Certificates 
  • Clubs and extracurricular activities
  • Demonstrations of specific skills, such as design, drawing, etc.
  • Lab research and experiment results
  • Awards you’ve received
  • Academic honors
  • Internships
  • Transcripts

What professional content should I add to my portfolio?

• Your resume. Expand on each portion of your resume with specific content
  • Sample reports, papers, and projects you worked on in a professional capacity 
  • Letters of recommendation
  • Personality and/or StrengthsFinder type assessments
  • Current or previous reviews from your manager
  • List of references
  • Processes or procedures created
  • Sample forms or templates created
  • Evidence of specific soft skills (writing, leadership, communication, conflict resolution)
  • Evidence of specific technical skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, website development, databases, event planning)
  • Certificates of completion for training you’ve attended
  • Workshops, seminars, conferences attended
  • Degrees
  • Certifications
  • Licenses

What additional content should I add to my portfolio?

• Sports and extracurricular activities
  • Volunteer work
  • Internship experience
  • Your hobbies — let your personality shine on your portfolio as well!
  • Non-profit / charity work (personal or corporate sponsored)
  • Volunteer workPhotos from events you coordinated
  • Leadership office held in professional/community organizations or on related boards
  • Community service project participation
  • Proof of professional affiliations and leadership roles held
  • Personal  Interests (if appropriate)
  • Special training or independent (self taught) learning
  • Learning a new skill 
  • Learning a foreign language
  • Writing skills  
  • Personal or professional mission statement
  • Public speaking opportunities
  • Flyers or newsletters you’ve designed or written articles for
  • Research Projects
  • Travel or Vacation Planning Projects

Create Your Network

Canvas Student ePortfolios allows you to build a network of current and former collaborators — from friends, classmates, and colleagues to people in industries, companies, or roles you are interested in. You can tag fellow classmates, friends, and colleagues on work you completed together. You can also ask professors, advisors, and managers to reflect on and document your experiences and work.

You can customize your URL and username to make your profile easy to find and include it on your resume, website, personal blog, business cards, and social media, such as LinkedIn and Twitter. Additionally, you can connect your social media accounts to your Canvas Student ePortfolios account to quickly and easily connect with your friends and network, log in using those credentials, and share your Canvas Student ePortfolios entries across your social media networks.