New Feature Preview: Course Pacing

This blog from the Instructure Product Team is no longer considered current. While the resource still provides value to the product development timeline, it is available only as a historical reference.

dlyons
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

3.png

What is Course Pacing?

Course Pacing helps support instructors with courses that have staggered start dates or rolling enrollments that require differentiated due dates based on the student start date or date of enrollment. Course Pacing allows an instructor to create plans that determine the pace of a course by designating the amount of time an assignment takes to complete and then when a student is enrolled, the student’s individual due dates are set automagically.

course pacing.jpg

What is a Feature Preview?

As a reminder, our feature previews are feature options that are in active development. Early adopters who opt in to the feature and join the Community user group can help improve the feature through direct feedback. Our goal is to learn from the experts who are using these feature options in their live classrooms so that we can iterate quickly to improve the feature based on the feedback provided. It is important to keep in mind that additional updates about this feature will be available in the User Group as enhancements may be released outside the Canvas Deploy Notes cadence. When this feature option is available for general use and no longer a feature preview, the feature option will be announced in the Canvas Release Notes.

I’m excited to give this feature a try! How do I opt in?

The Course Pacing feature option is an account level option, which can be enabled by an account admin by default for all users within the account or it can be unlocked to allow individual sub-account admin the opportunity to choose to turn it on in specific sub-accounts. Once made available, instructors will see a new setting and checkbox to Enable Course Pacing in course settings. Once enabled, the instructor will see Course Pacing in their Modules and will be able to start setting a pace for their course. 

In the Course Settings after an admin enables Course PacingIn the Course Settings after an admin enables Course Pacing

Now that I have the feature option enabled, how do I give feedback about my experience? 

Please join us in the Course Pacing User Group in the Canvas Community. We want to hear all feedback that you have to provide, so please feel free to share positive insights, constructive criticisms, and anything in between. Your honest and candid feedback will help drive our future development to make this feature the best it can be.  Our product team will be watching this space to respond to questions and to understand use cases that provide opportunities for improvement. We can’t wait to hear about your experiences with this awesome new feature!

This blog from the Instructure Product Team is no longer considered current. While the resource still provides value to the product development timeline, it is available only as a historical reference.