Isolated "Access Denied" Issue with Embedded Storyline Presentations on iPad

Jump to solution
belen_rojas
Community Explorer

Hi everyone,

I'm reaching out because one student in my course is consistently encountering an "Access Denied" message when trying to access the embedded Storyline presentations.

Here's what we know:

• The issue only affects this specific student, while others in the same course section can access the presentations without problems.
  • The student has already attempted troubleshooting steps on their iPad, including:
    • Reinstalling and updating Firefox and Chrome browsers
    • Verifying permissions for cookies and JavaScript
    • Clearing cache and cookies

Does anyone have any insights or suggestions on what might be causing this isolated access issue for this student?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Belén

0 Likes
1 Solution
ColtonSwapp
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @belen_rojas 

I apologize that your Student is running into this issue with viewing the embedded Storyline presentations. 

Access denied typically indicates that a permission is currently unavailable for a specific user. It's common to see this error if the student is trying to access course content that is unpublished or not available, currently. Since this is only occurring for one student, it could possibly be related to the way they are physically accessing the content in Canvas. For example, they might be navigating to the content through a broken/outdated link added to a page in the course, while the rest of the students are navigating to the same content through the modules page. I had a rare occurrence once where a student was trying to access specific content though a bookmark they added to their browser and I later discovered that the link they bookmarked was no longer valid. 

I'd recommend double checking the way the student is accessing the problematic content, and compare it to the way the rest of the class is. You could also try and run the link validation tool to see if it catches any potential links on pages that could be denying them access. 

However, It sounds like you have tried much of the basic troubleshooting that would be recommended at first. If you haven't already, I would highly recommend submitting a ticket to Canvas support to have them dig into this a bit more. They might need a few specific details from you to investigate the behavior further.

This can include:

• The name of the student that is seeing this issue pop up. 
  • A screen recording displaying the steps the student is taking to get to the access denied message.
  • A link to the item where they are getting the error message.
  • And the troubleshooting you listed above. 

let us know what you find out on this! 

-Colton 

View solution in original post

0 Likes