end of academic year rollover

DavidHawthorn
Community Member

We are using Canvas for the first year and I'm getting in early before the end of our academic year (December) and starting to think about what happens for next year.

We are using Compass as our school SIS which we have integrated with Canvas.

When we have our new enrolments for next year and do a sync with Canvas what happens to the existing courses? Can two courses have the same SIS ID if the date ranges are different? Do existing courses get automatically archived? Does the sync fail if existing courses haven't been archived? One thing that I have noticed is that even if a course is deleted the SIS ID cannot be re used.

Our IB diploma student do subjects that run for two years and they should be able access courses from the first year when they are in their second year and are no longer enrolled in those first year subjects. From a student (and a teacher) perspective they are doing a two year course, from a timetabling perspective they are doing two single year courses and thus each year of the course has a different SIS ID (eg. IB11MA, IB12MA).

Do teachers get a new set of courses that they need to manually import content into from their previous year courses? 

A bunch of questions for those more knowledgable than me (probably most of you!) to think about.