Khaki 2017: Priorities & Related Ideas

Document created by Renee Carney Administrator on Apr 21, 2017Last modified by Renee Carney Administrator on Sep 6, 2017
Version 6Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Below is a summary of the top 12 priorities that "Khaki" identified.  Priorities 13-15 (highlighted in gray) may or may not become part of the final prioritized list.  The prioritization of the items in gray will depend on the final scoping and sprint total. (One sprint loosely defined is 2 engineers working 40 hours a week for three weeks)

To Contribute:

1. Read, vote and comment on content related to a priority by clicking on the tag in the "related content by tag" column below.
  2. Create a new related content item (idea or discussion) and tag that content item with the official tag listed in the "related content by tag" column below.
  3. Follow this document, related content items, Canvas Studio, and Release Notes to receive updates as they are available.

Comments are intentionally turned off on this document in order to direct priority conversations to related discussions and ideas.  If you do not see a related discussion or idea, you can create new (directions above).  If you have questions or comments about the Khaki process, please direct message Renee Carney or Scott Dennis

Priorities: In order of vote

Related Content by tag

1. Admin Role Granular Permissions I & II

Estimated Sprints: 6 

I. As and admin, I need to be able to easily understand how permissions interact, so that I can grant the appropriate permissions for my users.

II. As an admin, I must be able to grant permissions for certain tasks independent of whether a user has other permissions set.                                                                                                                                                            

khaki_permissions

2. Canvas Content Duplication

As an instructor, I want to be able to copy or replicate any content item (assignment, page, discussion, etc.) in my course with one click, preferably from Modules.

Related Release Notes: Canvas Beta Release Notes (2017-07-05) 

khaki_duplicate

3. Student Crocodoc Feedback View

Estimated Sprints: 4

As a student, finding annotated feedback from my instructor is difficult. I have to view the submission details from the assignment or Grades page, then click a tiny link called View Feedback. The annotated document displays in a tiny window that is difficult to navigate, and downloading the document to review my instructor's comments is difficult as well, since annotations don't show up unless I know how to enable comments in the Print screen.

khaki_feedback

4. Advanced Reports

Estimated Sprints: 20

As an admin or instructor, I would like to be able to get more reports from Canvas. Canvas Data is awesome, but it requires advanced knowledge that I do not have and/or additional tools that I cannot afford.

khaki_reports

5. Large Course: Sections/Groups

Estimated Sprints: 8

As an instructor, I need different capabilities for creating and managing sections and groups for large courses.

khaki_large_sections_groups

6. Page View Mobile Activity

Estimated Sprints: 4

As an instructor, I would like to be able to tell if my students are participating in my course through a mobile device.

khaki_mobile_activity

7. Rich Content Editor: File/Image Drag & Drop

As a student or instructor, I want to drag and drop files and images from my desktop into the Rich Content Editor (such as in a discussion reply, or assignments) instead of having to upload first. (*image upload is not possible in discussion replies).

khaki_rce_image

8. Canvas Course Global Search

Estimated Sprints: 12

As a student or instructor, I would like to have a global search function in Canvas that would allow me to search for files and content across all my courses.

khaki_search

9. Commons: Preview Activities and Content

Estimated Sprints: 12

As an instructor or designer, I want to see what a Commons activity or object looks like before I import it into my course so I can avoid wasting time importing, evaluating, and deleting.

khaki_commons_preview

10. Mobile: Camera Access for Embedded Images

Estimated Sprints: 3

As a student, I have access to my camera to record a video in the Rich Content Editor, but do not have the same ability to take a picture and embed it directly.

khaki_mobile_camera

11. Course Archive Process

Estimated Sprints: 2

As an admin, I need to manage the myriad of courses in my account and archive ones that are no longer being used.

khaki_course_archive

12. SpeedGrader Screen Recorder

Estimated Sprints: 5

As an instructor, I want to provide video feedback showing the student's submission instead of my face.

khaki_speedgrader_recording

13. Large Course: Grading

Estimated Sprints: 30

As an instructor, I need a completely different gradebook for large courses.

khaki_large_grading

14. Roles/Permissions Masquerade

Estimated Sprints: 

khaki_masquerade_permissions

15. Elementary UX

Estimated Sprints: 

khaki_elementary_ux

Comments are intentionally turned off on this document, in order to direct priority conversations to related discussions and ideas.  If you do not see a related discussion or idea, you can create new (directions at top).  If you have questions or comments about the Khaki process, please direct message Renee Carney or Scott Dennis.

Attachments

Outcomes