Khaki 2017: Attendee Homework

Document created by Renee Carney Administrator on Apr 21, 2017
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Khaki Attendees read through each of the following features, user statements, and related feature ideas, in preparation for their on-site activities.

A Sprint is a unit of measurement that you can use to compare the amount of engineering effort required for a feature. Instructure defines one sprint as approximately equal to 2 engineers for 3 weeks.

Admin: Search Enhancements

Estimated Sprints: 1

As an admin, I need an easier way to locate and filter courses and their user enrollments.

Related Idea: Advanced Admin Search & Sort 

Admin Role Granular Permissions I

Estimated Sprints: 3

As and admin, I need to be able to easily understand how permissions interact, so that I can grant the appropriate permissions for my users.

Related Conversation: Canvas Permissions and Granularity Feature Ideas 

Admin Role Granular Permissions II

As an admin, I must be able to grant permissions for certain tasks independent of whether a user has other permissions set.

Related Idea: More granular permissions for admins 

Advanced Reports

Estimated Sprints: 20

As an admin or instructor, I would like to be able to get more reports from Canvas. Canvas Data is awesome, but it requires advanced knowledge that I do not have and/or additional tools that I cannot afford.

Related Idea: More built in reports for Canvas Admin's 

Assignment and Quiz Date Adjustments

Estimated Sprints: 6

As an instructor, I adjust assignment dates when I import my course, but I need one page where I can make minor adjustments to all course dates. The Calendar is currently too clunky to manage multiple changes outside the Month view.

Related Idea: Adjust all assignment and quiz dates on a single page 

At Risk of Failing: Student Indicator

Estimated Sprints: 15

As an instructor, I want to know if any of my students are at risk of failing the course based on their performance to date.
As a student, I can see if Canvas indicates I am failing the course based on my performance to date.

Related Idea: Early Warning System 

Canvas Content Duplication

As an instructor, I want to be able to copy or replicate any content item (assignment, page, discussion, etc.) in my course with one click, preferably from Modules.

Related Idea: Duplicate, Clone, or Copy anything in Canvas 

Canvas Course Global Search

Estimated Sprints: 12

As a student or instructor, I would like to have a global search function in Canvas that would allow me to search for files and content across all my courses.

Related Idea: Comprehensive Course Search Tool (Searching Course Content for a Topic) 

Course Archive Process

Estimated Sprints: 2

As an admin, I need to manage the myriad of courses in my account and archive ones that are no longer being used.

Related Idea: Course Archive Process 

Commons: Outcome Integration

Estimated Sprints: 4

As an instructor or designer, I want to be sure that outcome-aligned objects are always linked consistently. For instance, if I share an object to Commons, I want it to re-link with my institution or program outcome when that object is brought back into Canvas, or create a new outcome if I'm from a different institution.

Related Idea: Ability to share a rubric to the Commons 

Commons: Preview Activities and Content

As an instructor or designer, I want to see what a Commons activity or object looks like before I import it into my course so I can avoid wasting time importing, evaluating, and deleting.

Related Idea:  Canvas Commons Preview 

Conversations Multiple Course Messages

As an instructor, I have messages that I need to send to all of my courses at once. Right now I have to type the message, copy the message, and then paste the message as a new conversation for each course. Sometimes I also use the same message content as an announcement.

Related Idea: Email multiple classes at one time 

Course Default Settings

As an admin, I should be able to specify the default course settings for all newly created courses. I want to set a default course navigation menu, grading scheme, and other settings that I don't want to manage through the API.

Related Idea: Allow Admin to Set Default Course Settings for courses 

Course Notification Settings

As an instructor, I need control of notification and communication settings for my students by course.

Related Idea: None

Curriculum Mapping

Estimated Sprints: 10

As an instructor or admin, I would like a report that visually maps course content to course outcomes.

Related Idea: Curriculum Mapping- Standards Alignment and Rubrics 

Developer Token Management

As an admin, I want to be able to manage a developer key and see what it has access to so I can meet policies set by my institution or district.

Related Idea: Access Token management 

EduApp Center Accessibility and Localization

As an Edu App Center user, I would like to have localization and accessibility support.

Global Student Mastery Dashboard

As an student or staff member, I need a data dashboard that shows outcomes and activities related to outcome mastery across an entire program or institution.

Large Course: Grading

Estimated Sprints: 30

As an instructor, I need a completely different gradebook for large courses.

Large Course: Sections/Groups

Estimated Sprints: 8

As an instructor, I need different capabilities for creating and managing sections and groups for large courses.

Related Idea: None

MasteryPaths 2.0

As an instructor, I would like to use other mechanisms beyond assessments, such as outcomes, to create mastery paths.

Missing Assignment Report

Estimated Sprints: 5

As an instructor, I would like to print a report that only shows missing assignments for a student. This report would be sent to academic support personnel to facilitate assignment completion.

Related Idea: Missing Assignment Report 

Mobile: Admin App

Estimated Sprints: 16

As an admin, I would like a mobile app that shows frequent tasks I do to manage my institution's use of Canvas.

Related Idea:

Mobile: Advisor App

As an advisor or guidance counselor, I would like a mobile app that allows me to track basic student behavior, such as attendance, submissions, and grades. This idea is similar to the Parent App.

Related Idea: Advisor App (Based on Parent App). 

Mobile: Camera Access for Embedded Images

As a student, I have access to my camera to record a video in the Rich Content Editor, but do not have the same ability to take a picture and embed it directly.

Related Idea: Give Access to Camera to Embed Pictures 

Mobile: Global Announcements

Estimated Sprints: 4

As an admin, I need all of our users (including mobile) to view global announcements no matter what medium they are using.

Related Idea: Administrative/Global Announcements and iOS App 

Mobile: Offline Content

Estimated Sprints: 24

As a student, I would like to be able to use Canvas in an offline format on my mobile device. This functionality would help me stay current with my coursework when I'm offline or when my network connection is poor or unreliable.

Related Idea: Use of Canvas app offline - capture interactions & Use Canvas app offline - cache content 

Mobile: Student View

Estimated Sprints: 4

As an instructor, I need to know how my students see content in the Canvas mobile app.

Related Idea:Access to the STUDENT VIEW on an iPad or other tablet 

Mobile: Submission Comment Access

Estimated Sprints: TBD

As an instructor, I cannot view submission comments in the mobile app. I receive notifications about submission comments, but I cannot view them and see who asked the question without viewing Conversations in a web browser.

Related Idea: Make viewing submission comments available on mobile app 

Module Header Back and Next Buttons

As a student or instructor, I want to navigate through modules content without having to scroll to the bottom of a [really long] page.

Related Idea: Back and Next buttons at top of module items 

Module Item Management Enhancements

As an instructor, I want more options to add items to a module. I'd like to use common keyboard commands (delete, tab, and command-click for multi-select) and be able to drag and drop files from my desktop.

Related Idea: Move/copy multiple modules & Selecting Multiple Content Items in Modules 

Observer Scheduler Appointments

As an instructor, I would like to be able to create Scheduler appointments only for observer roles, such as for setting up a parent-teacher conference.
As an observer, I would like to be able to reserve Scheduler appointments.

Related Idea: Allow a parent observer to sign up for an appointment 

Outcome Management

As an instructor or admin, I want to be able to edit outcomes when they've changed and archive outcomes that are no longer needed.

Related Idea: Ability to edit state standards 

Outcome Reporting

Estimated Sprints: 3

As an admin, I want to see outcomes performance data at all levels: institution, sub-account, course, course group, and individual student.

Related Idea: Aligning Rubrics to Standards (Behind the Scenes) & An outcomes report for entire class not just individual reports 

Page View Mobile Activity

As an instructor, I would like to be able to tell if my students are participating in my course through a mobile device.

Related Idea: include Mobile App Page Views in Page Views on User Account Details Page 

Principal/Instructional Leader Dashboard: Student Performance

As an admin or principal, I would like to see how students are performing in Canvas individually and in groups.

Related Idea: Teacher Activity 

Principal/Instructional Leader Dashboard: Instructional Use of Canvas

As an admin or principal, I would like to see how instructors are using the software.

Related Idea: Teacher Activity 

Rich Content Editor: File/Image Drag & Drop

As a student or instructor, I want to drag and drop files and images from my desktop into the Rich Content Editor (such as in a discussion reply, or assignments) instead of having to upload first. (*image upload is not possible in discussion replies).

Related Idea: Drag and drop files into course modules and assignment edit windows & Upload an image directly to a discussion as a student 

Rubric Enhancements

As an instructor, I need to be able to expand scoring options for rubrics (i.e. without points, weighted, percentage based, point-range).

Related Ideas: Rubric without points, Rubric with Point Ranges, & Percentage-based Rubrics   

Section Limitation UI Improvement

As an instructor or admin of large, multi-section courses, I want to quickly and easily (through the UI) restrict some or all students in a section from viewing students in other sections, as opposed to having to re-enroll users or requiring my admin to SIS import or API re-enroll those users, so that I can manage my TAs more easily *and* have more liberty to convenience-crosslist sections without worrying about FERPA everywhere.

Related Idea: Course-Level Setting: Restrict Users to Their Own Section(s) & Edit Section: Restricting students to see own section only 

Self Peer Reviews

As an instructor, I would like to require students to submit a self-review assignment, similar to how I can assign them to submit peer reviews for other students.

Related Idea: Create a student-accessible rubric for self-assessments 

SpeedGrader 2.0

Estimated Sprints: 25

As an instructor, I would like SpeedGrader to better manage assignments for large courses, be mobile friendly, and be updated for a better user experience.

Related Idea: Canvas Studio: Speedgrader 2.0 

SpeedGrader Screen Recorder

As an instructor, I want to provide video feedback showing the student's submission instead of my face.

Related Idea: Screen Capture with Audio as a Comment Option 

Student Crocodoc Feedback View

As a student, finding annotated feedback from my instructor is difficult. I have to view the submission details from the assignment or Grades page, then click a tiny link called View Feedback. The annotated document displays in a tiny window that is difficult to navigate, and downloading the document to review my instructor's comments is difficult as well, since annotations don't show up unless I know how to enable comments in the Print screen.

Related Idea: Improve Student Crocdoc Comment View/Accessibility 

Sticky Course Navigation Menu

As a student or instructor, if I scroll to the bottom of a long text page, but then I want to view another area of the course, I have to scroll all the way back up the page to view the Course Navigation Menu.

Related Idea: Make Course Menu Sticky 

Student Grade Prediction

As an instructor, I would like students to record the grade they think they'll get on an assignment so that I can get them to think critically about their performance.

Student Progress Report Enhancements

As an admin, I need to create progress reports with fewer clicks.

Related Idea: Generate/Print Batch Progress Reports/Grades For All Students 

Student View Quick Access

Estimated Sprints: 1

As an instructor, I need a faster way to see how students will see the course content I just created. Right now I have to open Course Settings and click the Student View button every time I want to see a content item.

Related Idea: Quick Toggle Student View 

Term Sorting Consistency

As an instructor or admin, I want terms to be consistently sorted and displayed throughout Canvas, no matter what term's drop-down menu or page I am viewing.

Related Idea: More intuitive term sorting/presentation 

Terminology Customization

Estimated Sprints: 10

As an admin, I want to be able to customize the terminology used throughout Canvas navigation menus to accurately reflect preferred nomenclature in my institution.

Comments are intentionally turned off on this document in order to direct priority conversations to related discussions and ideas. If you have questions or comments about the Khaki process, please direct message Renee Carney or Scott Dennis

Attachments

Outcomes