How do I participate in a group in the Canvas Community?

Document created by Canvas Doc Team Employee on Jun 22, 2018Last modified by jivedocs@instructure.com on Jun 22, 2018
Version 2Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Participation in a group comes in many forms. You can ask a question, post a discussion, add a document, comment or reply to a content item, answer a poll, and create an event.

Types of Groups

There are several types of groups in the Canvas Community which determine access.

Open Group

If it's an open group, you don't need to join to participate. Membership is open and non-members can view content and participate. I Heart Pandas is an example of an open group. You can still join an open group for notification purposes.

Members-Only or Private Group

If it's a members-only group or private group, you'll have to join before you can participate. Joining a group has the added benefit of receiving notifications of all activities created and posted in the group. Membership is open and non-members can view content, but must join to participate. Most groups in the community are members-only. In a private group, membership is by approval/invitation and only members can view content and participate.

Join Group

To contribute to a group, you must join the group. In the Actions menu [1], click the Join group link [2].

Create Content

You can participate in a group by contributing to existing content (e.g., replying to a discussion, answering a question, participating in a poll, adding a comment) or creating new content (e.g., upload a document, create a new discussion or question, create a poll, write a blog post, etc.).

You are here
Table of Contents > Groups > How do I participate in a group in the Canvas Community?
1 person found this helpful

Attachments

Outcomes