Canvas and Focus have developed an automated integration between the two systems for provisioning (rostering) and grade passback, utilizing APIs made available from OneRoster 1.1. OneRoster enables a bi-directional transaction to provision data to Canvas, and post grades back to Focus.
This article gives an overview of the Canvas and Focus integration.
The bi-directional OneRoster integration breaks down as follows:
- Provisioning: a one-way transfer from Focus OneRoster 1.1 API to Canvas. As you make changes to users, courses, enrollments, ect. in Focus, those changes will be reflected in Canvas with your nightly sync.
- Grade passback (GPB): a one-way transfer from Canvas to Focus using OneRoster 1.1 API. As you make changes to your grades and assignments in Canvas, those changes will be sent to Focus when synced from the Canvas gradebook. OneRoster provisioning is required for GPB functionality.
- Graded Assignments
- Graded Quizzes
- Graded Discussions
- Assignment-level scores (grades)
Focus Integration Prerequisites
- Request your OneRoster 1.1 credentials from Focus. Licensing may be required by your SIS. Please talk to your SIS provider for additional information. Your OneRoster credentials (API URL, client key, and client secret) should be sent to us securely via a Canvas-provided link.
- Once our team receives your OneRoster 1.1 credentials, we will check our ability to connect.
- If you are converting from one SIS to another, or are transitioning from from a different integration, our team will need to perform an evaluation against your data. Our team will let you know if we have concerns about converting.
If you are interested in enabling the Focus Integration for provisioning, please contact your Customer Success Manager (CSM) for consideration.