Linking Courses and Assignments to Canvas Workflow Overview

Document created by Emily Allen Employee on Jan 22, 2020
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Canvas Outcomes Assessment Platform Resource Document

This document discusses how to link courses and assignments between the Canvas Outcomes Assessment Platform and Canvas LMS. Before a linked assignment can be set as a pathway requirement, the course and assignment must be linked between the Canvas Outcomes Assessment Platform and Canvas LMS.

Some steps have been abridged, however, each step includes a link to the full instructions. Some tasks require multiple user roles. Each step notes which user role(s) are able to complete the specific task.

Process Overview and Order

The full process for creating and linking a course and assignment between the Canvas Outcomes Assessment Platform and Canvas LMS is listed below. If you have already completed some of the steps, such as claiming a course template, you can skip ahead to the step which corresponds with your location in the process. The steps must be completed in the following order:

1. Admin Creates Course Template
  2. Faculty Claims Course Template
  3. Faculty Creates Assignment in Canvas Outcomes Assessment Platform
  4. Instructor Creates Assignment in Canvas LMS
  5. Instructor Links Assignment between Canvas LMS and Canvas Outcomes Assessment Platform

Step 1: Admin Creates Course Template

User Role: Admin (Canvas Outcomes Assessment Platform)

Full Instructions: How do I add course templates to the assessment library?

Add New Course Template

add new course template

In the Assessment Library, click the Course Templates link [1] and then click the Add New Course button [2].

Enter Course Template Details

add course template details

Enter details for the course template [1] and click the Add Course Template button [2].

Step 2: Faculty Claims Course Template

User Role: Faculty (Canvas Outcomes Assessment Platform)

Full Instructions: How do I claim a course?

Claim Course

claim course

In the Assessment Library, click the Course Templates link [1]. Click the checkbox next to the desired course [2], and then click the Claim Course button [3].

Enter Course Details

claim course details

Enter details for the course [1] and then click the Claim Course button [2].

Step 3: Faculty Creates Assignment in Canvas Outcomes Assessment Platform

User Role: Faculty (Canvas Outcomes Assessment Platform)

Full Instructions: How do I add an assignment to my course?

Add New Assignment

create new assignment in canvas outcomes assessment platform

In the course, click the Add New Assignment button.

Enter Assignment Details

add assignment details in canvas outcomes assessment platform

Enter details for the assignment and click the Create Assignment button.

Step 4: Instructor Creates Assignment in Canvas LMS

User Role: Instructor (Canvas LMS)

Full Instructions: How do I create an Outcomes Assessment assignment in Canvas as an instructor?

Open Course

open course in Canvas

In Canvas LMS, open your course.

Add Assignment

add assignment in Canvas

In Course Navigation, click the Assignments link [1] and then click the Add New Assignment button [2].

Enter Assignment Details

add assignment details in Canvas

In the Submission Type drop-down menu [1], select the External Tool option. Click the Find button [2] and select the Canvas Outcomes Assessment Grade Exchange option. When you have finalized the assignment details, click the Save & Publish button [3].

Step 5: Instructor Links Assignment between Canvas LMS and Canvas Outcomes Assessment Platform

User Role(s): Instructor (Canvas) / Faculty (Canvas Outcomes Assessment Platform)

Full Instructions: How do I create an Outcomes Assessment assignment in Canvas as an instructor?

Link Assignment

link assignment

In the Portfolium Connect window, locate the assignment and click the Link button.

Note: If you set the external tool to open in a new window, you may have to click the Load [Assignment Name] in a new window button in Canvas.

Next Steps

Now that the assignment has been linked between the Canvas Outcomes Assessment Platform and the Canvas LMS, students can begin submitting work and/or the assignment can be set as a pathway requirement.

1 person found this helpful

Attachments

Outcomes