Canvas Studio: Theme editor for branding

Document created by seth Employee on Apr 9, 2015Last modified by Renee Carney on Feb 24, 2017
Version 10Show Document
  • View in full screen mode
    COMPLETEDCanvas + Logo transparent (WHITE)- 300px.png

Rationale

Admins brand Canvas to give it a look and feel that fits their institution. Canvas enables this through CSS overrides. Three problems with this approach:

1. Technically challenging: Admins need to know CSS (or contract for help from somebody who does) to brand Canvas this way.
  2. Brittle: Updates to Canvas sometimes break CSS overrides in unpredictable ways. Admins have to manually check their overrides on beta before each release.
  3. Unintended consequences: Many institutions host their own override files. Downtime or degraded performance affecting the server that hosts the override file can cause Canvas to perform slowly or even seem down to users at the affected institution.

We can make life easier for admins and prevent non-Canvas server issues from affecting Canvas performance by creating a theme editor in Canvas.

User goals

As an admin with appropriate permissions:

• I can use tools in the settings panel for my instance to define colors and images that make Canvas look and feel the way I want
  • I don't have to learn CSS to brand Canvas
  • I can rely on branding persisting through Canvas releases
Timeline
We expect to make this available in beta Canvas in Q3 2015. Timeline for release to production depends on the beta experience.
1 person found this helpful

Attachments

Outcomes