If you're a teacher who loves taking your students on field trips (or, better yet, designing the activities that go along with them), boy do we have a contest for you! Our open education summer contest: Best. Field Trip. Ever. Your mission (should you choose to accept it) is to design a field trip (including assignment) to a cool destination and share it publicly to Canvas Commons.
TIP: Read the blog post on 4 Tips to Designing Open Ed Field Trips for more.
Please read the information below in order to qualify for this contest.
Field Trip Parameters
- The field trip must be to a known destination (i.e., museum, national park, etc.)
- The destination must be within United States or Canada.
- The field trip must be for educational purposes (a.k.a., no field trips to Disneyland)
- The field trip must be designed for the K12 audience.
Teachers and Course Designers can (and should) submit as many field trips as they want!
Field Trip Format (in Canvas)
Each Field Trip submission should include information about the destination, an accompanying assignment (or series of assignments), and external resource or reference.
It should be submitted as a Canvas MODULE (to keep things organized when sharing/importing). The module should include:
- MODULE TITLE: Name of Destination + Location (i.e. Children’s Discovery Museum - San Jose, CA)
- CONTENT PAGE: Post information about the destination, purpose of the trip, basically, anything students need to know about the field trip prior to their arrival.
- ASSIGNMENT: Minimum of 1. It can be in the form of a quiz, assignment, or discussion.
- EXTERNAL LINK: Additional references or resources (i.e., museum website, journal article, etc.)
See example below:
Once you’ve designed your field trip, you must share the entire MODULE to Canvas Commons publicly (so we can all access it).
One field trip per module submission, please.
- Go to the module you’d like to share
- Click on the gear icon and select ‘share to Commons’ from the drop-down
More details on How do I share a resource to Commons?
- Select ‘public’ radio button
- Tag the resource with ‘summer field trip’ ← NOTE: if you don’t do this, we won’t be able to find it
- Indicate ‘grade level’
See example below:
The winning submission will receive $200 to use towards a student field trip.
Submissions will be accepted June 1, 2016 through August 31, 2016 by 11:59pm MST.
Winners will be posted on Friday, September 9, 2016 in the Open Education Group.
We will have a panel of instructional designers from Instructure scoring each Field Trip submission on the following criteria:
Questions or Comments?