How do I view Discussions in the Canvas app on my Android device?

Document created by Canvas Doc Team Employee on Apr 19, 2017Last modified by Canvas Doc Team Employee on Sep 15, 2017
Version 7Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

The Canvas app helps you keep track of all course discussions. You can also view newly created discussions or changes to discussions in the Notifications tab.

The images in this lesson are shown for a phone display, but unless otherwise noted, tablet displays mirror the same steps.

Notes:

• If a graded discussion includes a rubric, rubrics are not currently supported in the Canvas app.
  • The Course Navigation menu matches the browser version of your Canvas course. If you are a student and Discussions is not available in Course Navigation, it will also be hidden from view in the app.

Open Course

Open Course

In the Dashboard, tap the name of the course you'd like to view.

Open Course Navigation

Open Announcements

Tap the Course Navigation menu.

Open Discussions

Open Discussions

Tap the Discussions link.

View Discussions

View Discussions

The most recent discussion will always appear at the top of the app. However, replies to the discussions stay housed within the discussion itself. A numbered indicator displays the number of unread replies within each discussion.

Swipe your device from top to bottom to quickly refresh Discussions.

View Draft Discussions (Instructors)

View Draft Discussions (Instructors)

If you are an instructor, you can view draft versions of discussion posts that have not yet been published. Discussions can be published while you are creating a discussion.

Open Discussion

View Discussions

To view a discussion thread, tap the name of the thread.

View Discussion Indicators

View Discussion Indicators

In Discussions, the total number of replies are indicated by a gray numbered indicator [1]. The additional indicator box shows the number of replies that are unread [2].

View Focused Discussions

View Focused Discussion

Focused discussions are considered regular discussions. Focused discussions are used for single replies and related comments.

View Threaded Discussion

View Threaded Discussion

Threaded discussions allow multiple replies within replies. You can reply to any discussion post or reply in the thread.

The total number of replies are shown by the numbered indicators.

Open Threaded Discussion

Open Threaded Discussion

To read any additional replies, tap the heading of the reply.

View Threaded Discussion

View Threaded Discussion

The thread will expand and show the replies.

To return to the main topic, tap the back button on your Android device.

Pin Discussions (Instructors)

Pin Discussions (Instructors)

Instructors can pin any discussion from inside the app. When viewing a discussion, tap the Pin icon.

You can toggle the pin to set and remove pinned discussions.

You are here
Table of Contents > All Users > How do I view Discussions in the Canvas app on my Android device?

Attachments

Outcomes