How do I view Courses and Groups in the Canvas app on my iOS device?

Document created by Canvas Doc Team Employee on Apr 19, 2017Last modified by Canvas Doc Team Employee on Sep 9, 2017
Version 5Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

You can view all your active courses and groups in the Canvas app.

The images in this lesson are shown for a phone display, but unless otherwise noted, tablet displays mirror the same steps.

View Courses and Groups

View Courses and Groups

Unless otherwise changed as the landing page, the app defaults to the Courses tab and displays all your Favorite courses and groups. Favorite courses mirror the courses and groups customized drop-down menu in the web version of Canvas.

Each course includes four icons, which are shortcuts to the main Canvas features for student course activity: Announcements, Assignments, Discussions, and Files. These icons mimic visibility and order in Course Navigation, so if the link is hidden in the browser version of Canvas, the icon will not display for the course.

Set Favorites

Set Favorites

Favorites can be managed from the Courses tab. Changes to your favorite courses or groups will also apply to the browser version of Canvas.

To favorite a course or group, tap the Courses or Groups button, then tap the Settings icon.

Select Courses or Groups

Select Favorite Courses

Tap the star next to the course or group name you want to favorite.

Note: Changes to your favorite courses or groups will also apply to the browser version of Canvas.

View Grades (Students)

View Grades (Students)

If you are a student, you can view your course grade in the Courses tab.

Learn how to view Grades.

Assign Course Color

Assign Course Color

You can change the color associated with your courses and groups. Colors help associate course items in other areas of the Canvas app, such as in the To Do List and Notifications.

To change the color for a course, tap the Edit icon.

Choose Course Color

choose color

Tap the new color for your course [1]. Tap the Done link [2].

Open Course or Group

Open Course or Group

To open a course or group, tap the course or group name.

View Course Navigation

View Course Navigation

Within each course, you will be able to view the course navigation links that are available in the browser version of Canvas. Therefore, if a course navigation link is hidden in the browser version, you will not be able to access it in the app.

Courses and groups are associated by color, which help associate course items in other areas of the Canvas app, such as in the To Do List and Notifications.

Note: Not all course navigation links are supported in the Canvas app. However, all navigation links are supported in a mobile browser.  

View Course Navigation on iPad

View Course Navigation on iPad 

iPad functionality mimics the web version of Canvas, allowing Course Navigation to be expanded or collapsed for full-screen course viewing. To expand or collapse the Course Navigation menu, tap the expand icon.

You are here
Table of Contents > All Users > How do I view Courses and Groups in the Canvas app on my iOS device?

Attachments

Outcomes