How do I view Discussions in the Canvas app on my iOS device?

Document created by Canvas Doc Team Employee on Apr 19, 2017Last modified by Canvas Doc Team Employee on Sep 9, 2017
Version 5Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

The Canvas app helps you keep track of all course discussions. You can also view newly created discussions or changes to discussions in the Notifications tab.

The images in this lesson are shown for a phone display, but unless otherwise noted, tablet displays mirror the same steps.

Notes:

• The Course Navigation menu matches the browser version of your Canvas course. If you are a student and Discussions is not available in Course Navigation, it will also be hidden from view in the app.
  • Currently, viewing rubrics in graded discussions is not supported in the app.

Open Course

Open Course

In the Courses tab, tap the name of the course you'd like to view. Or if it is available, tap the Discussions icon.

Open Discussions

Open Discussions

Tap the Discussions link.

View Discussions

View Discussions

The most recent discussion will always appear at the top. However, replies to the discussions stay housed within the discussion itself. A numbered indicator (color-coded by course) displays the number of unread replies within each discussion.

Swipe your device from top to bottom to quickly refresh Discussions.

Open Discussion

View Discussions

To view a discussion thread, tap the name of the thread.

View Focused Discussion

View Focused Discussion

Focused discussions are considered regular discussions. Focused discussions are used for single replies and related comments.

View Threaded Discussion

View Threaded Discussion

Threaded discussions allow multiple replies within replies. You can reply to any discussion post or reply in the thread.

The number of replies within the reply are indicated by a gray notification icon [1]. The number of threaded replies that are unread are indicated by the blue indicator [2].

Open Threaded Discussion

Open Threaded Discussion

To expand a threaded discussion, tap the heading of the threaded reply.

View Threaded Discussion

View Threaded Discussion

View the replies in the threaded discussion.

To return to the main discussion thread, tap the Back to Parent button.

You are here
Table of Contents > All Users > How do I view Discussions in the Canvas app on my iOS device?

Attachments

Outcomes