How do I send a message in the Canvas app on my iOS device?

Document created by Canvas Doc Team Employee on Apr 19, 2017Last modified by Canvas Doc Team Employee on Sep 9, 2017
Version 5Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

You can send conversation messages to multiple people in your courses in the app.

The images in this lesson are shown for a phone display, but unless otherwise noted, tablet displays mirror the same steps.

Open Messages

Open Messages

In the Dashboard, tap the Messages icon.

Compose New Message

Compose New Message

Tap the Compose icon.

Add Recipient

Add Recipient

Tap the Add icon.

Search by Name

Search by Name

To search by name, type the name of your recipient in the text field.

Note: If you cannot remember a recipient's name, you can search by course filter to select your recipient.

Select Recipient

Select Recipient

When the full name of the recipient appears, tap the name.

Add Multiple Recipients

Add Multiple Recipients

You can add additional recipients to your message by typing their names in the search field. When the full name of each recipient appears, tap the name.

When you are finished adding recipients, tap the Done link.

Verify Recipients

Verify Recipients

The compose window will show the number of message recipients [1]. If necessary, you can confirm the names by tapping the Add icon [2].

Search by Course Filter

Search by Course Filter

To search by course filter, type the name of the recipient's course [1]. When the full name of the course appears, tap the name [2].

Select User Group

Select User Group

Tap the recipient's user group [1].

Note: You can select all members in the course by tapping the All Members option [2].

Select Recipients

Select Recipients

Tap the names of the recipients [1]. You can select all members in a specific user group by tapping the All Members option [2].

Tap the Done link [3].

Verify Recipients

Verify Recipients

The compose window will show the number of message recipients [1]. If necessary, you can confirm the names by tapping the Add icon [2].

Send Message

Send Message

In the compose field [1], type your message. If you want to add an attachment, tap the Paper Clip icon [2]. When you are ready to send your message, tap the Send link [3].

Note: New messages will not appear in the Inbox on the Canvas app until there is a reply to the message. However, if you have an existing Inbox message with a recipient, the message will appear as part of that message thread.

You are here
Table of Contents > All Users > How do I send a message in the Canvas app on my iOS device?

Attachments

Outcomes