March Teacher Appreciation Event: Home Page & Modules Based Templates
For the March event, we have created two free Canvas templates designed for those instructors moving from ground to online.
Do you or someone at your institution have the need to quickly move course content from a ground course to an online environment? If so, we suggest importing your chosen template into a course shell as a launching point. Why? A template turns a blank shell into a fill-in-the-blank Canvas course. Teachers who are already lacking time can begin with a pre-built point of launch. Power users can take and modify the template without needing to start from zero.
About The Templates
Home Page Template
- The home page is designed to provide communication information, course expectations, and access to the learning materials in an easy to follow format.
- The sample content module includes the layout and formatting for a module overview, presentation, Discussion, Assignment, Quiz, and wrap-up. Instructors can duplicate and edit the module materials in order to customize the content for their learners. Along the way, we provide tips and tricks to enhance the learning experience.
Modules Based Template
- The Welcome to your Virtual Classroom! Module is designed to provide communication information, course expectations, and access to the learning materials in an easy to follow format.
- A Monday-Friday based content module supports a weekly curriculum with sample overview, presentation, offline and online practice layouts, Discussion, Assignment, and wrap-up. Instructors can duplicate and edit the module materials in order to customize the content for their learners. Along the way, we provide tips and tricks to enhance the learning experience.
These templates are designed as an aid for those ground instructors who need to get up-and-running in Canvas with short notice. They are not designed to act as a comprehensive course template. To learn more about our Canvas Course Best Practices, please visit the Course Evaluation Checklist v2.0 blog post.
- Select the following link to automatically download a copy of the Home Page & Sample Module Template Canvas export package: Ground to Online Course Home Page & Sample Module Template
- UPDATE 03/23/20: We now offer a free template that is Modules based and aligns with Adapting to Online in a Pinch! Export package access: Adapting to Online in a Pinch Template
Home Page Based Template Preview
Part 1 | Importing Content Into Canvas Course Shell
- Download the template course export file (linked above).
- Open the Canvas course in which you'd like to upload the home page template. We recommend that you load these packages into empty course shells in order to prevent the potential overriding of your current course content. If you do not have an empty course shell (or course in which you feel comfortable loading these materials), please contact your Canvas Administrator.
- Select "Settings" from the course navigation menu.
- Select "Import Course Content" from the right-side menu and complete the following:
- For Content Type, select "Canvas Course Export Package"
- For Source, select "Choose File" and then locate the home page template file you've just downloaded (typically found in the Downloads folder on your computer) and unzipped
- Select the file and then "Open"
- For Content, select "All content"
- Finally, select "Import"
- A green box with the words "Completed" will appear once the upload is complete. The content will now be uploaded to your course!
Part 2 | Customizing Your Home Page Based Template
Selecting the "Home" button will take you to your new home page design. You can edit the page utilizing the Rich Content Editor.
Within the Modules button, you will find two Modules that complement this template. The first Module, "For The Instructor" provides you with links to relevant Canvas Guides. The second Module, "Sample Module" contains sample materials that you can duplicate and customize. Please note, if you choose not to use the module it should be set to unpublished so that students do not see the sample content.
2020 Course Design Essentials
Monthly Canvas Community Event Launch
The Canvas Instructional Design Team is launching our 2020 Course Design Essentials monthly event. These events will include blog posts, live events, free design assets, how-to screencasts, and tips and tricks that focus on Canvas course design fundamentals to help you elevate your course design.
Who Are We?
We are Instructure’s Instructional Design Team! More specifically, we are Tiffany Foster, Marah Metallo, Laurie Norris, and Lily Philips. Within Canvas, we have been students, teachers, admins, trainers, and instructional designers. We have created fully-online, hybrid/blended and face-to-face courses for learners ranging from preschool through post-secondary and everything in between.
Why Are We Launching This Event?
We utilize the Canvas Community on a regular basis to position instructional design resources! We understand the impact and power of the Instructional Designers space within the Community and want to give back. We are excited to collaborate and share tips and tricks about our Canvas Design Best Practices.
Please comment below. We’d love to hear from you!
Our Instructional Design team offers templates, consultation, badging services, course evaluations, workshops, and more. If you would like to learn more about our services, please contact your CSM.
2020 Teacher Appreciation
Contingency Planning Blogs