Learning through practice and simulation is an essential aspect of the development of expertise in the workplace. Competency Based Training is designed to allow the learner to demonstrate their ability to do something as such; RTO’s need a way to assess and record the evidence of that assessment.
A Direct Observation (otherwise known as a Observation Report) is an assessment of a student made in real time in the workplace or in a simulated off-the-job situation that reflects the workplace. This is evidence that must be observed or witnessed by the assessor themselves.
As such, wouldn’t it be fantastic if you could do these assessments on-the-go? This blog will help you to move away from the days of print, write, scan and into the future of electronic-based reporting.
Step 1 - Define the Observation Outcomes
Step 2 - Import the Outcomes
Step 3 - Create the Assignment
Step 4 - Create the Rubric
Step 5 - Use your Device to Assess on the Go!
Step One - Define the Observation Outcomes
As part of the development of an Observation Report in Canvas, it is important that you are able to clearly articulate what outcomes the student is required to achieve. Once you have a defined set of outcomes, it is time to create those outcomes inside of Canvas;
1. Go to the Root Account Admin Navigation and select ‘Outcomes’,
2. Develop a folder structure which will support the input of multiple types of Outcomes (see sample below),
3. Create each Outcome that you wish to place into the Observation Report (see example below),
4. Once all Outcomes have been added, return to the Canvas Course that is being worked on.
Step Two - Import the Outcomes
- In your Canvas Course, select ‘Outcomes’ on the Course Navigation,
- Import the Outcomes into the Canvas Course (see example below).
Step Three - Create the Assignment
1. In your Canvas Course, select ‘Assignments’ on the Course Navigation,
2. Select ‘+’ an Assignment:
- Enter a Title and Description,
- Display Mark As: Percentage,
- Submission Type: No Submission.
3. Select ‘Save’.
Step Four - Create the Rubric
1. Select ‘+ Rubric’,
- Add an appropriate title to ensure it is unique,
- Import the Outcomes that were created and imported into the Canvas Course,
- Select ‘Use this Rubric for Assignment Grading’ click ‘Create Rubric’.
***If it asks you to ‘Change’ or ‘Leave Different’ select ‘Change’. This will ensure that when the assessor grades using the Rubric, it will auto-calculate a grade out of 100%.