List of which students created discussions and who replied to them

Idea created by Tomas Kojar on Jun 5, 2018
    Open for Voting
    Score3
    • John Boekenoogen
    • Matt Clare
    • Tomas Kojar

Hello

My name is Tomas and I am a summer instructor in mathematics. I want to give participation marks separately for students who create threads and for students who reply to these threads. For example, if students ask 40 questions I will give them 1% bonus marks and if they respond to 40 questions I will give them 2% bonus marks.

The graded discussion option doesn't work for this because often the students have questions that don't fit under any particular discussion topic. In mathematics the material keeps building on previous things and so students have questions from previous lectures or from the textbook. For example, instead of me creating multiple discussions to try to catch students' questions

Graded Discussion topic: Lecture 3

Student q1: what is an application of derivatives?

Reply: fluid flow

Student q2: it is not from lecture 3 but from a previous midterm I read: how to compute the derivative of exponential?

reply: use the limit definition and factor out exp(x)

I would prefer the students to have the freedom to post any course related question they want:

Discussion topic: what is an application of derivatives?

Answer: fluid flow

Discussion topic:: how to compute the derivative of exponential?

Answer: use the limit definition and factor out exp(x)

Also, it might not fall under any current lecture, but under some old lecture and so it could be buried there for no one to answer.

One idea is for the instructors to have access to a list of who created discussions and who replied to them. For example,

Student Name   Discussions created       Replies

John Smith      30                        50

Maria Kyle      40                         60  

Thank you and have a nice day, Tom