Options for "Not Graded" Assignments

Idea created by Paula Levy on Sep 8, 2018
    Open for Voting
    Score1
    • Rob Ditto

When I select "Not Graded" in the "Display Grade As" field of an assignment, all other options (except date) disappear.  I would like "Not Graded" assignments to behave exactly as every other assignment except that they are not counted towards grades either in Canvas or when exporting to Gradebook.  I think it would be more intuitive and helpful to make the following two changes.

• Rename the current Not Graded choice as Not Submitted.  That way, it's obvious that the students are not submitting this assignment.
    • Create a new Not Graded choice.  When the teacher selects this, the Points automatically become 0, and the "Do not count this assignment towards the final grade" is automatically selected.  This would be more intuitive than having to choose a grading method for a non-graded assignment just so that I can also choose a Submission Type.

By having two choices (a "Not Grade" choice which retains all functionality, sets points to 0 and selects "Do not count this assignment towards the final grade", and a "Not Submitted" choice the way "Not Graded" currently works) both functionalities would be achieved and it would be more intuitive as to which is which.