Canvas Data Submissions - Include FIRST assignment submission timestamp (reposted)

Idea created by Joni Miller Expert on Jun 11, 2019
    Open for Voting
    Score6
    • Joni Miller
    • Rob Ditto
    • Cassidy Porter
    • cms_hickss
    • Jeff Ziegler
    • Pablo Mora

This idea is being reposted from an idea that was closed and archived to Cold Storage.  It had 8 votes and was created on Feb. 26, 2018.  Canvas Data Submissions - Include FIRST assignment submission timestamp 

I’m working on getting the assignment submission information into Starfish Early Alert system using Canvas Data.  I'm working with submission_dim and submission_fact trying to generate some data based on student submissions.  I see in the schema that submission_dim and submission_fact both have only information about the LATEST submission.  

This would also be used to determine metrics for retention or students requiring additional help through counseling or tutoring services. 

If there are multiple submisisons for an assignment/student/course:  

I see the number of attempts but I can't find the first attempt date or timestamp.  There seems to be no way to see past submission information for assignments in canvas data - it only keeps the most recent submission's data.   I was advised by canvasdatahelp to submit this as a feature idea. 

Could submissions_dim have a field added that includes the FIRST ATTEMPT DATE for the assignment? 

Thanks!

Joni