Create sub-groups

(3)

As a teacher I want to be able to create sub-groups, e.g. I want to divide Group A and B into A1, A2, A3 and B1, B2, B3 in order for students to collaborate in smaller groups while at the same time being able to access the material contained in parent groups. This will also save a lot of administration time for me as a teacher.

This is how I am doing this right now: creating one group set for e.g. 5 groups with 6 students in each. Then create another group set of 30 groups with 2 students in each (pairs), this while having another window open at the computer to see the original groups to make the ‘right’ pair division from the original groups. This is time consuming and opens up for mistakes in dividing the pairs into the 'sub-groups'.

This is widely requested at our institution for courses working in seminar groups and base groups for example. The division of the students often derives from the original division.

4 Comments
lindalee
Community Contributor

Oh! This is an interesting groups feature idea, and one that has some up in a few of our courses.

Maria Nilsson, have you considered cloning the first group set, and then creating the sub-groups group-by-group within the cloned group set (see the "Manage Group Set" section in How do I view all groups in a course as an instructor?)? That seems like it might an easier process than you've been using.

maria_nilsson_3
Community Novice
Author

Thank you  @lindalee  for your suggestion, this workaround might simplify the job a little bit.

khahn1
Community Participant
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived