cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

UCF Quiz Extensions LTI now Open Source

Hello Everyone,

I’m proud to announce that UCF’s Quiz Extensions LTI for Canvas is now open source under the MIT license. This tool provides an easy, central interface for applying extra time to all quizzes at once.  Quiz Extensions will also remember the student, the amount of extra time, and the quizzes the extension was applied to. If a quiz/test is added in Week 13, the instructor goes back to Quiz Extensions and just applies to the new quiz.

The time is percentage based. The default is time and a half (150%). There are 100%, 200%, 300% and 400% along with a custom amount of time.

Here is a demo: https://youtu.be/nVQ5wiO9kAY (no audio)

Attached is text description of the demo.

The software is available on Github: https://github.com/ucfopen/quiz-extensions . As of today, Quiz Extensions does not work with Quizzes.Next

I’m happy to answer any functionality and facilitate technical questions to our developer.

Regards,

John

Tags (2)
3 Replies
Highlighted
Learner II

Thanks jraible, this is great news - we have been using the tool for the awhile and it has been very well received by instructors and our Disability Resource Center and has saved lots of people a lot of clicks and time. 

I do have a couple of questions on the future of the tool, let me know if it would be easier to post these as issues in GitHub. 

1. I have heard that Quizzes.Next will include some similar functionality, do you anticipate that it might replace the need for this tool when that functionality is available or if there will still be a need for this? 
  2. When new quizzes are added after a course e love the ability for instructors to go in and apply the previous extensions to new quizzes. We have had a number of requests to automatically apply those time extensions to any new quizzes in the course. Is that something you have ever considered? Or if not, do you have a sense of how much work it might be to fork a version that could do that if I could muster up some coding resources? 

If it is helpful to anyone else using the tool, here is the documentation we provide to faculty when using the tool: 

Quiz Extension Tool Installation Information | USU  

Thanks again for the great tool and for making it available for everyone to use! 

Highlighted

Thanks for the positive comments!

1. Quizzes.Next may (should) have this type of functionality. I haven't had hands on experience with this element of the tool. 

2. It was a deliberate decision not to do it automatically. I don't think it is a feature that we would implement. I would add it as an issue to the project for a formal response. It shouldn't be a major technical challenge. Just have to set up a few cron jobs.

Regards,

John