Zoom in Canvas

Community Team
Community Team
5 21 73.5K

If you would like to connect with students using Zoom as your conferencing tool, you have the ability to add a Zoom Meeting to your Canvas Course, Course Announcement, Module, or via Calendar. The Zoom sessions will start when you join, and will run until you end the meeting. You do not have to update the link to start a new session. When you're ready for your next class to start, the same link allows the next group of students to join.

Note - Zoom will launch in a new tab, and if students are on a mobile device they will need the Zoom app, or can call in to participate via phone. 

Please view Zoom Meetings in Canvas to view or download a copy of the instructions below.

If you need to configure your Canvas instance with the Zoom LTI, please view the LTI Pro for Canvas document from the Zoom Help Center.

Add a Zoom Meeting in Announcements

Add a Zoom Meeting in Modules

Add a Zoom Meeting in Course Navigation

Add a Zoom Meeting in Calendar

21 Comments
Surveyor

I don't think it's recommended to use your PMI information.

Surveyor

ok

Surveyor II

I have TA's that create Zoom meetings within a course.  The problem is they aren't showing on the calendar, they only show when a teacher adds it, is this correct and is there a way for a TA to create the meeting and have it show on the calendar?  

Explorer III

In our experience, we found that they need to have authenticated Zoom Pro accounts w/in the/your larger institution Zoom account as well - just like folk in the Teacher role... but there could be variation, I imagine.  We are using the Zoom LTI Pro integration and are working with a large-ish institution Zoom account.  A few times we found folk manually created one-off, personal Zoom accounts using their campus email account and they needed to terminate/delete that account and then turn to authenticate with the institution account and try the integration.

Surveyor II

Is it possible to host multiple Zoom Meetings at the same time in a Canvas Course? For example, we are have a virtual learning day on July 28.  Each 45 minute slot will have 3 sessions. Will participants be able to choose the session from within Canvas?

Surveyor

Yes, if they are different hosts. The zoom does not allow the same Host to be in simultaneous meetings.

Surveyor

This doesn't look how it's setup in out institution. Instead there is a Zoom link places in the navigation menu of every course through which instructors create meetings. Is this out of date?

Community Member

Whether or not the Zoom link appears in the navigation of every course is

an option based on the way the XML is configured when the LTI is installed.

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 8:33 AM willmoin@liverpool.ac.uk <

Surveyor

The Canvas administrator must enable the scheduling function in Zoom's LTI.
352539_LTI.png

Surveyor

I believe that the course follows a Bluprint that has the Zoom link disabled.

Surveyor

If you have your teacher grant scheduling privileges to their TA within Zoom, they can schedule for the teacher and then I think they should show up on the calendar. Alternatively, if your TAs have account admin privileges in Canvas, they can "Act as User" for the teacher and schedule the Zoom, it will schedule it as if the teacher did it themselves. I have set up literally hundreds of zooms like that, it works perfectly.

Surveyor II

Can this be done on the admin portal for all teachers or do individual teachers need to do this in their courses?

Surveyor II

I want to hold office hours for multiple classes at the same time through Zoom. Is this possible?

I tried to import a meeting from another class, and it told me I couldn't import it because it was already in another course. 

I just want drop in office hours via zoom that any student in any of my classes can use in the 3 hour period. (Like in real life--I have office hours that all my students, from all my classes, can visit at the same time!)  

Surveyor

This can't be difficult to implement, I just can't figure it out.

Surveyor

I have been trying to figure out the same thing and my college support tells me it is not possible. This makes the Zoom Function in Canvas unappealing.

Surveyor

How do you add a Zoom recording in your zoom cloud to the Zoom link in your class Canvas page?

Surveyor

I did some experimenting with this. If you have a zoom meeting associated with a class ( by importing it into the class or creating the meeting while in Canvas for that class) then I believe the recorded Zoom Meetings in the cloud will automatically show up to students when they click the Zoom link.  That is what happened to me in my experiment.    However, If the Zoom meeting is connected to another class, then you will have to get the Zoom link to the recorded video in the cloud and add it as an activity in a module in the class in Canvas. 

Explorer II

Has anyone experienced any changes to Zoom and LTI Pro?

We are experiencing that Zoom is no longer embedding itself as a frame when clicking on "Zoom" inside of a course and it is loading as a pop-up (sometimes blocked depending on web browser settings).

I looked at the Zoom LTI Pro release notes and there are no updates to it since March 2020.

Explorer II

You have to set your Canvas domain (I did production, beta, and test) as an approved domain in Zoom's LTI Pro configuration in the Zoom marketplace.

zoom lti pro approved domains.png

https://zoomappdocs.docs.stoplight.io/lti-pro-v2/welcome/getting-started

https://zoomappdocs.zoom.us/lti-pro-v2/welcome/manage-and-configure#configure-approved-domains

Surveyor

ZOOM is integrated into Canvas at my college.  When opening ZOOM it seems there is no way to create pre-set breakout rooms.  Is this something the administrator can correct?

Surveyor

Can you add a zoom meeting to a specific student's calendar? I am a special education teacher and will need to have only specific kids see my zoom link. 

Thanks!