Balancing Human Touch with AI in Education

DrNufer
Community Coach
Community Coach

This was obviously created by AIThis was obviously created by AIThe era of AI transforming our classrooms is far from quiet. As 2023 wraps up, I reflect on the tumult and fervor that have taken our institutions by surprise. I've been able to consult many institutions and present at several conferences about the ramifications of generative technology.  I have consoled people and groups of people, just as I have fanned the flames of passion as professors and administrators embrace and explore AI platforms.  I act as a cheerleader or a pragmatist depending on the context.  What we will see in this upcoming year and beyond is that the fervor around AI will begin to die down as naysayers discover the benefits and zealots are confounded with the vast limitations of the platforms.

What is certain is that these technologies are sweeping our classrooms across the globe and we will see a future where learning is more personalized, accessible, and efficient.  What is interesting is that while high-income nations will likely be the first to see AI becoming commonplace within their education systems, developing nations will likely not fall far behind.  This is something abnormal with adoption of new tech and it will be exciting not only to see the vast adoption of new tools, but also the shift in how education is delivered and experienced.  What will this mean for education globally as AI potentially bridges the gap between affluent and emerging economies?  No doubt it will still be a complex landscape to navigate with many challenges ahead, but we will also have a unique opportunity to revolutionize educational access and quality on a scale that was previously unimaginable.

With all this said, the pressing question I pose to panels, trustees, faculty, and anyone who will listen is how will we preserve and prioritize humanistic and contemplative approaches in teaching and learning - those elements of our classrooms that provide the grounded value to our craft.  This question truly isn't new to AI or generative tech, but I believe it's now more urgent than ever that we discuss how our teachers and students can be human in classes with so much tech.  In the coming months we may see an overhauled agenda focused on discussing developments of AI alongside the need for emotional intelligence and the creation of psychological safe spaces where teachers, admin, and students can explore the contexts and applications their subject matters in the midst of the expanding landscape of emerging gen tech.  

While AI brings remarkable capabilities to the table, the human element in education remains indispensable. Teachers offer empathy, moral guidance, and a deep understanding of student needs - all qualities that no algorithm can replicate. Research consistently highlights the critical role of teacher-student relationships in effective learning, and AI will never make the Community of Inquiry framework obsolete. These relationships foster a supportive environment that encourages students to engage, take risks, and develop a love for learning. As AI assumes more administrative and analytical roles, educators must emphasize these irreplaceable human interactions.

Another image generated by AIAnother image generated by AIIn reality, in this aspect I see AI as being a win for humanization in the classroom as we explore ways to automate mundane processes so that teachers can focus on teaching.  Let's leverage AI for tasks like data analysis and administrative duties.  In this way, integrating AI in to the classroom can enhance, not replace, the human elements.  It doesn't diminish the teacher's role but rather amplifies their ability to attend to individual students' needs and foster a supportive, engaging classroom environment. Let's focus on direct student interactions and personalized teaching.

I have reassured countless people during academic assemblies, board of trustee meetings, and conference sessions that AI will not replace us.  However, those who learn and use AI effectively will replace those who don't.  Educators must prepare for an AI-integrated future. This preparation involves understanding the capabilities and limitations of AI, as well as developing strategies to integrate these tools in a way that complements human teaching. Professional development and continuous learning are key, as educators need to stay informed about the latest technologies and best practices for their use in the classroom. 

For those like me who subscribe to the premium version of ChatGPT, it's amazing to see the speed of development and progress with the platform.  There was a time when it seemed like every couple of weeks there was a major jaw-dropping announcement (plugins, integrated Dall-e, customizable GPT's, etc.).  Even so, the limitations can be frustrating.  Yet, it's within these constraints that we find our greatest potential for growth. As we harness these tools while acknowledging their boundaries, we're reminded of the irreplaceable value of human insight and empathy. 

[Full disclosure, ChatGPT wrote that last sentence.  I wanted to see what kind of transition it would think of between that last thought and my next paragraph.  It's not great and I'm leaving it as is (copy/paste) to demonstrate how it AI can get us to the right neighborhood, but doesn't always drop us off at the right door. Now back to my words.]

All this new technology is exciting and even revolutionary, but it is critical that we remain fixated on always fostering the human touch in our classrooms.  Education is not defined by sages disseminating wisdom to pupils.  We have free public libraries and most of us have unlimited access to the internet.  Knowledge can be obtained for free without matriculation to an academic institution.  What we offer to students beyond information and knowledge about facts, processes, and theories is compassion, understanding, and connection.  These are the things that define our learning experiences, not essays, exams, and discussion boards.  If we are thoughtful about how we integrate AI into our educational practices, we can leverage the best of both worlds and create AI-enhanced classrooms that are as humane as they are innovative.

Here is a call to action: share your thoughts, concerns, and visions for how we can best balance the technological with the personal in education in the comments below. Let's shape a future that embraces the possibilities and potential of AI while preserving our fundamental human connections.

[post-script: I asked ChatGPT if it could offer suggestions for that last sentence.  Here is what it proposed: "As we navigate this new frontier, let's commit to a partnership between technology and humanity, crafting educational experiences that are as enriching and diverse as the world around us."  Not bad...I can see where it was going.  But it's a little uncanny and doesn't entirely sound human.  It's getting there though.]

9 Comments
ANDREWJONES208
Community Participant

Dr. Nufer this is a most welcome question. Yesterday in researching and reading I noticed the nuance in language that the term teacher was changed to "performance coach". And like anything words do matter and the meaning associated with those words matter.

I wonder do they mean performance coach who focuses on task completion as in someone who can help a student achieve an learning objective OR do they mean a performance coach who addresses the entire learner and who simultaneously assists that learner in achieving a learning outcome through a compassionate and responsive approach to learner.  I am sure that the former was what was in mind.

One must understand that all technology has the potential to dehumanize us. That doesn't mean it is to be avoided, but it must be applied with wisdom. Technology is like gasoline, when placed in its' proper context and applied with competency it is quite useful. Additionally, AI is nuclear energy, which has much more capacity for harm. Conversely if harnessed appropriately societal benefit can result.

With that background...essential components for an Education that embraces AI should include:

(By the way this is not a finalized list in my mind as I am continually thinking about this)

1. Educators and Developers must understand the limitations of machine learning. (See the Chinese Room experiment)(The narrow conclusion of the argument is that programming a digital computer may make it appear to understand language but could not produce real understanding. Hence the “Turing Test” is inadequate, https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/chinese-room/)

2. Educators and Developers must understand that new AI technology breeds passivity among the learner, thus curiosity must be insisted upon by equipping the learner to effectively question.

3. Educators and Developers must understand the type of thinking that is required in our AI age is not learned from the "sage on the stage" because information access is democratized, superfluous, and ubiquitous.  

4. Educators and Developers must understand that the learners regardless of subject must be equipped, taught, and provided with opportunities to demonstrate mastery of applying, synthesizing, analyzing, and evaluating. (See Bloom's Taxonomy.) The lower level learning of knowledge and comprehension is needed, but should not be the requirement for proficiency and mastery. This low threshold is easily accessible in AI. Requiring it in the classroom is a disservice to students.

5. Educators and Developers must model and teach a morality and ethics that results in human flourishing. This should not be overlooked. For anyone learning from AI, one is learning from the trainers and creators of that technology. The enduring reality that we become like our teachers is now more relevant than ever.

ANDREWJONES208
Community Participant

One other follow up to add on this topic is addressing and implementing the ISTE standards framework when designing instruction. https://iste.org/standards. They are comprehensive and provide helpful benchmarks.

john1344
Community Explorer

john1344_0-1703945161472.jpeg

In regards to Bloom's Taxonomy (See Bloom's Taxonomy- New Verion Shown), with the introduction of AI and LLMs, I believe education will need to blend the Cognitive domain with the Affective domain.

"Skills in the affective domain describe the way people react emotionally and their ability to feel other living things' pain or joy. Affective objectives typically target the awareness and growth in attitudes, emotion, and feelings."

Receiving The lowest level; the student passively pays attention. Without this level, no learning can occur. Receiving is about the student's memory and recognition as well.
Responding The student actively participates in the learning process, not only attends to a stimulus; the student also reacts in some way.
Valuing The student attaches a value to an object, phenomenon, or piece of information. The student associates a value or some values to the knowledge they acquired.
Organizing The student can put together different values, information, and ideas, and can accommodate them within their own schema; the student is comparing, relating and elaborating on what has been learned.
Characterizing

Experiential and social cognitive learning as pioneered by Albert Bandura. LLMs and AI are not there...yet. 

ANDREWJONES208
Community Participant

Thanks for your post! Your insight reminded me of the reason some AI is taking a personalized and emotive approach to AI assistants . See https://inflection.ai/ they advertise a "Personal Intelligence" or Pi.  " the AI companion that knows you, is aligned to your interests, and provides companionship." 

BrianBoyd
Partner
Partner

Great post with important insights. The "humanity" of teaching is vital. As I look back at my own education, particularly in college, the things that stayed with me and shaped me were not facts, figures or lessons but conversations I had with professors about critical thinking and how to navigate the human experience. That said, working at Praxis AI and seeing Pria, our AI mentor in action, it's clear to me that AI can help level the playing field for students who don't have the financial resources for outside tutoring or work fulltime while going to school which means study groups are difficult. Many of these students are the first in their families to attend college and don't have the support structures in place that are available to others. Seeing the number of Pria inquiries that come in "off hours" tells me that meaningful interactions are occurring and learning is being supported and advanced when it otherwise would not be. 

DrNufer
Community Coach
Community Coach
Author

@ANDREWJONES208, someone on LinkedIn tried to pick a fight with me today (I ducked out - not interested) trying to say that essentially technology can never replace the human element in the classroom.  I didn't disagree entirely, but I to think that effective teaching and learning doesn't need to be exclusively on or the other - completely human or completely tech/robots/whatev.  (That's when he says I don't know anything and that he would hate to live in my world etc.)

There's a balance, a happy medium, and right now I think the priority should be educators perfecting their craft and also learning how technology can augment their effectiveness.  Much of that is precisely as you purport that we need to know the limitations of technology and avoid at all costs using it as a crutch.  I encourage my faculty to be excited about tech and gen tech, but ask first and foremost if there are issues to address or problems to solve that tech can help them with.  Or are there tasks that can be transformed and improved by integrating tech into the classroom.  We can't just be excited about the shiny thing and go chase after it because it's novel.  

EMMANUELOLUWANU
Community Member

Andrew is very right and  wise because the absolute use of AI will make learners lazy and have a fixed mindset. Students are meant to be very open to gathering of information through study at is were.

EMMANUELOLUWANU
Community Member

I believe a lot of what Dr Nufer stated and explained is understandable. But I also believe the student should be thought how to familiarise himself with critical thinking especially during community gathering or physical lecture to encourage verbal  positive communicate and effective which definitely includes listening attentively and responding accordingly.

I also understand his argument very well that every technology today was a new and a threat at some point years ago to students of that time. But I believe the gradual and systematic process of evolving should be allowed to take place at normal pace to replace the learning culture of today.

ANDREWJONES208
Community Participant

Thanks for sharing more insights!

One point that is made in this Harvard Education article, is when assessing students we must focus on the process over the product. I couldn't agree more. When designing instruction in Canvas LMS, I try to design lessons in such a way that I am taking students through a process of learning that is demonstrable and observable. I have found the Modern Classroom Approach to be well suited to this. This approach combines Mastery Learning+Blended Instruction+Self-Pacing. It is conducive to seeing the process of student learning. Recently using Microsoft Co-Pilot students were required to Prompt Co-Pilot for 4 questions on Depth of Knowledge Levels on a subject in World History. This allowed for student centered instruction as well as interest based selection. It is a work in progress, but I am encouraged that walking students through the process and evaluating that process will help them to see the shift in learning. It really is about the journey.... Lastly, the conclusion of this instruction will be capped off with a class wide Socratic where human interaction and collective learning will occur.