Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Started with Canvas as a Student

ctitmus
Community Team
Community Team
14 45 130K

If you are new to Canvas, this page will provide you with some essential resources so you can create an account, familiarize yourself with Canvas, and participate in your Canvas courses.

Canvas Guides

The Canvas Student Guide has over 200 lessons that each answer a question that relates to using the Canvas interface as a student. Included below is a selection of lessons that will introduce you to the basics of Canvas. Each lesson also includes Next and Previous links so you can easily navigate to related content.

Account Setup

Before you can do anything in Canvas, you'll need an account and the URL for your institution's Canvas website. View the lessons below for help with setting up your account, logging in, and managing your user settings.

Canvas Basics

Once your account is set up, take a minute to familiarize yourself with the Canvas user interface. The lessons below will show you how to navigate Canvas and use a few of the tools that link across all your courses.

Course Basics

Within a Canvas course, you can submit assignments, participate in discussions, view grades, and collaborate with other students. What is available in your course will depend on what has been implemented by your instructor. View the lessons below for some of the basics of Canvas courses.

Canvas Student App

Canvas also has a free mobile app available for iOS and Android that is specifically tailored to students. View information about the Student app below.

Additional Resources

45 Comments
andronomas
Surveyor

just trying to figure this out.

pms52
Surveyor

How do you purchase online software needed for your classes through canvas?

period
Surveyor

🖐

Elora
Surveyor

just trying to get used to it

Anonymous
Not applicable

First timer on here (and a bit lost:) but still trying to figure it all out. Best of Luck everyone!

Jaheen
Surveyor

just trying to figure everything out!

Dominic22
Surveyor

How do you set up your email on here?

adenp1120
Surveyor

hello ever one

i am new to this

monadogoharani
Surveyor

hello every one I just try try to figure out every thing

Jaheen
Surveyor

I am having a hard time getting to global navigation menu. It's actually starting to frustrate me. Can someone please show me step by step how to get there? Please just don't say its on the left of every page because that doesn't help me. I would really appreciate it! Thank you and have a good night!

juicyjae641
Surveyor

very nice

Bobby2
Community Coach
Community Coach

HI @Jaheen I understand.

Here's a screenshot of what the Global Navigation Menu is. It's highlighted in yellow.

GN.PNG

Sing out if you need a hand. 

Buckyguns
Surveyor

1. Where is the timetable, so i can know which class i have to go.

2. What is module, I don't understand and every class has them, definition please.

3. How do i submit my assignment, my teacher explained it to everyone but I was confused and forgot so please help me

4. Some of the classes have no link or they don't have passcode.

ATRINIDAD5351
Surveyor

I'm still trying to figure it out. Good luck everyone

ChimaOnuchima
Surveyor

AYO CANVAS GOING CRAZY

Pejo
Surveyor

I really don´t know how this works.

Melissa18
Surveyor

I am so confused with this Canvas stuff. Been out of school for for 20 years. coming back to school and on a computer has been overwhelming for me.

Nightclaw-4032
Surveyor

How do we access online reading material without needing to go through with the teacher to access it? I've been extremely stressed out because it feels like I need to ask the teacher for the link to the online reading material that I need to pass the class.

Melissa18
Surveyor

Thank you Nightclaw, I really appreciate that!

Melissa18

s244618
Surveyor

i am cophosing 😵

s244618
Surveyor

Screenshot 2020-10-20 at 12.06.10 PM.png

Surveyor

hey really

Mrcus
Surveyor

ooo

gentlefaye
Surveyor II

wut is this app for i hope it is useful 

gentlefaye
Surveyor II

i wonder wut it dos ??????? 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

lorsmith
Surveyor

can someone PLEASE tell me how you find your Herzing email from the canvas. I have documents to sign in my Herzing email. I can get it on my phone but it is no help as I can not see the documents le alone fill them out! I can't seem to figure out where it is on my desktop:(

juicyjae641
Surveyor

First time on this canvas.

averyhester
Surveyor

How do i get rid of last semesters classes off of my modules page?

Surveyor

I love this comment

lovelady2215
Surveyor

How do I know when classes start for GED

Surveyor II

Can you please givme Canvas

Surveyor II

Rite now

Surveyor II

I hate you

Surveyor II

Dot aser him 

Surveyor II

Got it

SofiaTr
Surveyor II

Sooooo... Did anyone figure out how Canvas works?

cutechihuaua76
Surveyor

ok this is new

Surveyor

How do I insert margins in the Canvas text entry box to submit an assignment with the proper MLA formatting? 

SydneyMcLamb
Surveyor

This app really helps the Students i love it

SydneyMcLamb
Surveyor

😍

SydneyMcLamb
Surveyor
SydneyMcLamb
Surveyor

Read That and figer it out.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening all!

I am just getting acclimated to Canvas for Summer 2021; beginning in just about 12 days.  My classes are not active yet, so I could not "star" them; but was only able to "star" orientation.

Thanks a million to whoever is providing the resources here to get us all going this session.

ioannaha11
Surveyor

I need help on how to do scheduling on my canvas with my teacher 

MilkaFurlan
Surveyor

I'm very brand new on canvas and confuse. Can someone help please. I'm trying to get the hang of it and explore it but still don't get it.