cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rbaker1

Create user agreement in Canvas

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I'm a n00b to Admin in Canvas (Pilot started last week). Can anybody tell me if you can create an end user agreement (mainly for code of conduct with students) that they have to agree to before starting any course? Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
awilliams
Instructure
Instructure

Also Welcometo the community @rbaker1 !! We are so glad you found us this early in your journey with Canvas. Please let us know if there's anything you need. We've probably been there before Smiley Happy

You've already found the Canvas Admins group, but there are also great groups like Instructional Designers‌, K-12‌, and some sister Australian schools here in the community. Since you're in the pilot phase, you might want to check out Canvas Engagement Strategies and all the wonderful events taking place in CanvasLIVE like the Canvas FastTrack Series.

As an admin, you'll definitely want to keep the Canvas Guides‌ handy. The video guides are a big hit at my college. Don't stop there though, keep asking those questions and encourage your faculty and students to get involved and do the same. They can ask a question in the Find Answers‌ space.

For a glimpse into the future and see what other people are discussing as far as new features you can visit the Canvas Studio‌. If you want to actually travel to the future, check out InstructureCon 2017. That's the annual conference. Even if you can't make it in person there will be all sorts of activities, information, and opportunities to participate here in the community.

panda image

View solution in original post

5 Replies
awilliams
Instructure
Instructure

Hey @rbaker1 ,

We have several things.

1. Acceptable Use of Technology Policy

2. Student Code of Conduct

3. And then we share The Core Rules of Netiquette -- Excerpted from Netiquette by Virginia Shea -- Albion.com 

I think this pretty much covers most of what would be in a "code of conduct" user agreement. There's no signing involved, but it's included in the "Start Here" page we encourage faculty to include in their courses.

Also, since there's no "right" answer to this question, I'm going to change it from a question to a discussion so the conversation continues and there's no need to designate any single answer "correct."

awilliams
Instructure
Instructure

Also Welcometo the community @rbaker1 !! We are so glad you found us this early in your journey with Canvas. Please let us know if there's anything you need. We've probably been there before Smiley Happy

You've already found the Canvas Admins group, but there are also great groups like Instructional Designers‌, K-12‌, and some sister Australian schools here in the community. Since you're in the pilot phase, you might want to check out Canvas Engagement Strategies and all the wonderful events taking place in CanvasLIVE like the Canvas FastTrack Series.

As an admin, you'll definitely want to keep the Canvas Guides‌ handy. The video guides are a big hit at my college. Don't stop there though, keep asking those questions and encourage your faculty and students to get involved and do the same. They can ask a question in the Find Answers‌ space.

For a glimpse into the future and see what other people are discussing as far as new features you can visit the Canvas Studio‌. If you want to actually travel to the future, check out InstructureCon 2017. That's the annual conference. Even if you can't make it in person there will be all sorts of activities, information, and opportunities to participate here in the community.

panda image

Thanks Adam!

One of the features that drew me Canvas in the first place was the community. Glad I'm not disappointed! I'll check out the links you sent. Again, thanks!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

So it's not the exact same thing, but we require all of our students complete an online orientation to Canvas (that includes some netiquette type stuff, as well as a lot more) before they are allowed access to their courses - https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/admins/blog/2015/04/14/orientation-programming?sr=search&sear...

I'm guessing you could do something similar with the user agreement as a page in a course and then students either need to mark that page as done or take a quick quiz where they would (in theory) read and then acknowledge it by typing their name or selecting the I agree option. 

So now that I'm thinking through this, another option could be to create the page or quiz with the information and then agreeing and then add it to the first module of every course. You could put this content in Commons for faculty to access and faculty could make it a requirement for students to move forward in their course. 

myerdon01
Community Champion

I think that is a great way to do it. Put a quiz in the very first module and they have to complete the "quiz" before the next module opens.

We do something similar in a module further into the course when the student is setting up their online book access. They need an school code, but we want them to REALLY read and understand the set up process first and also to understand that once they set up their account and use their code, they can't get a refund from the bookstore. So, we set up a short tutorial, then a quiz which basically asks them "Did you read and understand all of the information?" By clicking "True" it will open the next piece of course content, if they click "False" they get nothing! Not 100% foolproof, some students figure out that if they just click the right answer it opens the content, but some actually read it!