Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pattyd

Further customize instructor permissions

Jump to solution

Hello, please let me know if this has already been addressed.

We have a bit of a different scenario.  We provide custom built online courses for a variety of universities.  Within this setting students are expected to self enroll and select their section (assigned by the university). The instructors do not have permission to enroll or remove a student, but we would like to give them permission to move students from one section to another within the same course shell.

This is not a feature currently offered, does any one have a suggestion for a work around?

Best,

Patty

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
canvas_admin
Community Champion

Patty,

I would suggest you add a feature request.    Here's a guide on adding a feature request which includes tips on how to make it a good feature request:  How do I create a new feature idea?

View solution in original post

4 Replies
canvas_admin
Community Champion

Patty,

Currently, the only way to move students from one section to another is to have the "Add/remove students for the course" permission selected along with "See the list of users" and "Send messages to individual course members."  Here's the Canvas permissions document, https://s3.amazonaws.com/tr-learncanvas/docs/Canvas_Permissions_Account.pdf , and the section reference is on page 9 of the document.

I don't think there can be a workaround for this since the edit section ability is tied to the permission to enroll/remove a student which you don't want to give to your instructors.

Hi Mark,

I thought this might be the case.  It would be a good functionality to add to Canvas so instructors can police their students more efficiently.

We currently, have the instructors/students contact our help desk asking for the students to be moved to their correct section.  We then do the following on a student by student basis:

1. Enroll the student into their correct section
  2. Go back to the currently enrolled section.
  3. Masquerade as the student and accept the course for them
  4. Then conclude enrollment in the previous section

Thanks for your prompt response.

Best,

Patty

canvas_admin
Community Champion

Patty,

I would suggest you add a feature request.    Here's a guide on adding a feature request which includes tips on how to make it a good feature request:  How do I create a new feature idea?

canvas_admin
Community Champion

Patty,

Are the sections in the same course or different course?   Have you thought about cross-listing?  Here are a couple of guides on that:  How do I use cross-listing in an account? and  How do I cross-list a course section in an account?

We occasionally cross-list and then if a student needs to change a section our workflow becomes more simple (keep in mind that I am an admin for our institution):

1. Go to "People" in the course

2. Click on the "Gear Icon" that appears on the far right side when you hover over a student's enrollment.

3. Click "Edit Sections"

4. Start typing the new section # to add the new section.

5. Click on the "x" over the currently enrolled section to delete the enrollment from the old section.

This prevents us from having to do any masquerading and can do the add and removal of sections all on one screen/page.