How to Use Canvas Badges/Credentials with Zapier
Canvas Badges/Credentials has now partnered with Zapier which means that users now have many new and exciting options for automating badging. In this article, we'll walk you through how Zapier works as well as some templates we’ve set up with them to make your badging process even more efficient than before.
When you first connect with Canvas Credentials on the Zapier site, you will be prompted to select either Canvas Credentials US, Canvas Credentials EU, Canvas Credentials AU, or Canvas Credentials CA. Please select the location that corresponds with the server that your Canvas Credentials account is on.
Setting up a Zap
The basic idea behind Zapier is that one action triggers another.
To get a better idea of how Zapier works, here's an example of how adding a new email address to a document on the application Google sheets can trigger a badge award.
- Choose the application from which you want a badge award triggered. The trigger event we’ve selected for this example is Create new row.
2. After clicking continue, you'll be asked to enter the email address or login associated with the app from which you are triggering the Zap.
3. When connecting to Google sheets, the next step is to link to the specific sheet and worksheet from which the Zap will be triggered.
4. To make things easier, Zapier automatically tests the sheet for you to make sure it works.
From the Zapier site:
“Zapier will attempt to find a recent item from your trigger app to use in the Zap. For example, if your trigger is a new email in Gmail, Zapier will pull in a recent email you've received. This email can then be used as test data in an action step later in the Zap. If you want to use a different item, you can change the test data in your Zap trigger.”
5. Connect the tested trigger to Canvas Credentials.
6. Select your app. The app we’ve selected is Canvas Credentials Australia (another reason why it’s important to choose the correct server initially).
7. Like we did when we were setting up the Google sheet above, we can connect Zapier to our account on the Canvas Credentials Australia server. This should be easy since we selected the Canvas Credentials Australia app when we began this process.
8. You'll be prompted to set up the details of the badge award.
9. You'll be able to select any of the issuers associated with your account, and then, any of the badges associated with that issuer.
10. Under Recipient, you'll indicate where the tool will be able to locate the badge recipient in the other connected app and from there you can personalize the nature of the badge like you would if awarding the badge on Canvas Badges/Credentials.
Templates from Canvas Badges/Credentials
- Canvas Credentials has created templates on Zap so that it’s easy for you to make badging happen as efficiently as possible: We’ve built them using apps that we think will be helpful to our users
- You can award a badge to a user who submits their email address in a Google Form
- You can award a badge when a Jotform is submitted
- When someone registers for a Zoom webinar, you can award them a badge
- If you are a LearnUpon user, Zap can help you award badges to learners upon the completion of a cour...
- You can award badges to learners when they complete an assessment in Kajabi
- There are three templates available for Teachable, including awarding a badge to new learners who sign up for your Teachable school
- If you use Thinkific, you can also use Zapier to award badges to learners for completing a course
We hope you enjoy using the templates that Canvas Credentials has built using Zapier and that they make your Badging programs and initiatives that much more successful.