cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
morgan_j
Community Participant

Custom CSS to Remove Roles from Add People Drop-Down

Jump to solution

Wondering if anyone has been successful in creating custom CSS to remove the default roles that show when clicking the "Role" drop-down when adding users to a course? (please see attached screen shot).  If anyone has been successful in this, would be grateful if you could share the code used to do this.  We would like to remove the TA role from this drop-down if possible.  

Thanks!

Jeff Morgan2020-09-21_15-19-05.jpg

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jeff_F
Community Champion

@morgan_j  - be sure to note the roadmap which indicates a related pending change is coming in the November timeframe. 

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Roadmap/ct-p/roadmap 

Permissions: Add/Remove Teachers, Designers, TAs Granularity

Allow admins to granularly define permissions for adding or removing teachers, designers, and TAs in a course.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
bbennett2
Community Champion

Much of Canvas is rendered in React now, so it's harder to do some of the custom CSS or JS injections.

I looked at the developer tools for this input and it's all handled by React. The role selection isn't a <select> element like you would have used before, so there's no way to get the options ahead of time in a user script to remove one or another. I'm not sure of an easy way to accomplish this right now.

The alternative, if you're not using TAs, is to just remove that role entirely in the Permissions page of the admin panel. I don't know of a way to limit which roles appear, though.

Jeff_F
Community Champion

@morgan_j  - be sure to note the roadmap which indicates a related pending change is coming in the November timeframe. 

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Roadmap/ct-p/roadmap 

Permissions: Add/Remove Teachers, Designers, TAs Granularity

Allow admins to granularly define permissions for adding or removing teachers, designers, and TAs in a course.

View solution in original post

morgan_j
Community Participant

@Jeff_F , thank you very much for letting me know about this!!  I was not aware that there was an upcoming change.  This will make some folks here at our institution very happy!

dgrobani
Community Champion

@morgan_j, I'm not sure that the November change will help with your issue.

The idea linked to in the roadmap is In Permissions, Separate "Add/remove other teachers, course designers, TAs, and Observers to the cou....

It seems to me that that's about the permissions assigned to a role, not which roles can be enrolled in a course.

Jeff_F
Community Champion

Granted I am making an assumption as this is yet to be seen, but if the updated enroll permission granularity is set up so the permission to enroll TA and other course roles are unique, then for the Teacher role one will be able to deselect the Enroll TA permission from Teacher course role.

dgrobani
Community Champion

Ah, thanks for clarifying. I misunderstood the extent to which you wanted the TA role to be inaccessible. That makes sense now.