Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
srikumar_subram
Community Member

Custom Data for an Integration App on a Course

Jump to solution

Hello, 

I am a new user and a new developer.  Apologies if this is a repeat question. I see there is an option to add custom data for a user

https://community.canvaslms.com/message/100008-re-storing-custom-data?commentID=100008#comment-10000... 

My question is more specific to a Course where I want to be able to attach an UID to an external system to make it easy for my solution 

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pklove
Community Champion

All of the course API fields are at Courses - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation  and Courses - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation .

I don't think there is anywhere you could store your uid.  You'll just have to have your application keep a mapping between it and the sis_course_id or the Canvas id, as appropriate.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
pklove
Community Champion

All of the course API fields are at Courses - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation  and Courses - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation .

I don't think there is anywhere you could store your uid.  You'll just have to have your application keep a mapping between it and the sis_course_id or the Canvas id, as appropriate.

View solution in original post

srikumar_subram
Community Member

Thanks Peter

dgrobani
Community Champion

pklove, as discussed in another thread, couldn't the course's integration_id be somewhere that  @srikumar_subram 's uid could be stored?

pklove
Community Champion

It could potentially be.  I did wonder about mentioning this.  But I have heard a CSM say do not use this field.

One problem is that if Srikumar uses this field for their app, then what happens if someone else, or the institution, needs it for something else?

dgrobani
Community Champion

Ahh, a CSM saying not to use it strikes me as a compelling reason not to use it!