Custom JS to sort courses on the admin user profile page by active/inactive

lbeveridge
Community Explorer

In order to make it easier for admins to access a given user's active courses when a user has been enrolled in a number of courses, I created a JS function to sort any active courses to the top of the "Enrollments" list. With all the active courses sorted to the top of list, admins don't have to scroll through a long list of past courses to find a given active course. I thought I would share this here in case others would find it helpful.

I also created a feature request to make this a built-in Canvas feature, which is available here:

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Sort-Courses-on-the-admin-user-profile-page-by... 

This code can be added to a Canvas Custom JS file, and then enabled by running reorder_profile_course_list() on load. I included a commented out line that also doubles the size of the enrollments box, making it easier to view multiple courses as once.

/*
The following code re-roders the "Courses" list in the "Enrollments" section on the admin user profile page in Canvas.
First, it will check if the current page is the admin user profile page by checking the current URL. If not, the code will not run.
The list of courses is re-ordered so that active courses will be placed at the top of the list, while preserving the alphabetical order that
the active courses would were listed in. All non-active courses are left in their original order below the active courses.
*/
function reorder_profile_course_list() {
    let currentPage = window.location.pathname;
    if(currentPage.includes("/users/") && !currentPage.includes("user_notes") && !currentPage.includes("courses")){
        var list = document.getElementsByClassName("unstyled_list context_list")[0];
        // Optional line to double the height of the courses list:
        // list.style.maxHeight = "400px"
        var items = list.getElementsByTagName('li');
        var stop = 0;
        index = items.length - 1;
        while(index > stop) {
            if(items[index].classList.contains("active")){
                items[index].parentNode.insertBefore(items[index], items[0]);
                stop++;
            } else { 
                index--;
            }
        }
    }
  }

Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 10.33.26 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-12-16 at 10.32.17 AM.png

Labels (4)