Flashing dashboard and empty assignments page in my local Canvas

maguire
Community Champion

For some time I have been running a local Canvas instance for development activities. This has enabled me to both peek under the covers and give a VM with a complete Canvas instance and programs that I have developed to students.

During the summer I noticed that after updating the code using the github Canvas sources that I had a flashing dashboard that would never render a static dashboard and that when I went to the assignments page I could not see the list of assignments.

When using the inspector in the browser I could see the results of the query return the JSON for the assignments in the course. However, nothing appeared.

After some looking at the page for assignments, I found that the class where I expected to see the assignments there was a div that included "hide-content-while-scripts-not-loaded" and then searching in the source code (using find) I found the following:

find . -type f -exec grep hide-content-while-scripts-not-loaded {} \; -print   @body_classes << 'hide-content-while-scripts-not-loaded' ./app/views/assignments/new_index.html.erb       @body_classes << 'hide-content-while-scripts-not-loaded' ./app/views/courses/show.html.erb   @body_classes << 'hide-content-while-scripts-not-loaded right-side-optional' ./app/views/announcements/index.html.erb   @body_classes << 'hide-content-while-scripts-not-loaded' ./app/views/discussion_topics/index.html.erb   @body_classes << "full-width no-page-block hide-content-while-scripts-not-loaded" ./app/views/calendars/show.html.erb

So this hiding of contents occurs in a number of places, but I could not find the CSS.
After a bit of searching, I found at https://code.vt.edu/griffc1/canvas-lms/blob/de9d56b7f0f8b1818d9f161c737c86744e17b756/app/stylesheets...

// This hides stuff till the javascript has done it's stuff .hide-content-while-scripts-not-loaded   #content, #right-side-wrapper     +single-transition(opacity, 0.3s)     +opacity(1) .scripts-not-loaded   #content, #right-side-wrapper     +opacity(0)

The above means that the results are purposely hidden until some javascript has been loaded.

Additionally, using the inspector in the brower I saw the following when trying to display the page for assignments for a course:

assignment_index.js:14 Uncaught (in promise) Error: Cannot find module '@instructure/js-utils'     at webpackMissingModule (assignment_index.js:14)     at eval (assignment_index.js:14)     at Module.sMe2 (assignment_index-c-9c2eac0849.js:1941)     at __webpack_require__ (main-e-a68344b004.js:64)

Going to the docker container where the webpack is built I did a yarn run webpack. In this I found:

ERROR in ./app/jsx/bundles/dashboard_card.js Module not found: Error: Can't resolve '@instructure/js-utils' in '/usr/src/app/app/jsx/bundles'  @ ./app/jsx/bundles/dashboard_card.js 22:0-65 40:33-39 40:40-56  @ ./node_modules/bundles-generated.js  @ ./app/jsx/main.js  ERROR in ./app/jsx/bundles/assignment_index.js Module not found: Error: Can't resolve '@instructure/js-utils' in '/usr/src/app/app/jsx/bundles'  @ ./app/jsx/bundles/assignment_index.js 29:0-57 91:0-16  @ ./node_modules/bundles-generated.js  @ ./app/jsx/main.js  ERROR in ./app/jsx/dashboard/DashboardHeader.js Module not found: Error: Can't resolve '@instructure/js-utils' in '/usr/src/app/app/jsx/dashboard'  @ ./app/jsx/dashboard/DashboardHeader.js 37:0-65 283:27-33 283:34-50  @ ./app/jsx/bundles/dashboard.js  @ ./node_modules/bundles-generated.js  @ ./app/jsx/main.js  ERROR in ./app/jsx/discussions/apiClient.js Module not found: Error: Can't resolve '@instructure/js-utils' in '/usr/src/app/app/jsx/discussions'  @ ./app/jsx/discussions/apiClient.js 19:0-66 28:9-16 28:17-33  @ ./app/jsx/discussions/actions.js  @ ./app/jsx/discussions/components/DiscussionsIndex.js  @ ./app/jsx/discussions/index.js  @ ./app/jsx/bundles/discussion_topics_index_v2.js  @ ./node_modules/bundles-generated.js  @ ./app/jsx/main.js

The above means that the js-utils are not found, despite the fact that this is a package as one can see from the output of the command "ls packages":

babel-preset-pretranslated-format-message canvas-planner canvas-rce canvas-supported-browsers jest-moxios-utils js-utils k5uploader old-copy-of-react-14-that-is-just-here-so-if-analytics-is-checked-out-it-doesnt-change-yarn.lock

Similar to the solution in posting https://github.com/instructure/canvas-lms/issues/1318 (Links to an external site.) 

The solution is to add in the docker-compose.override.yml file the following to the services -> jobs -> volumes key :
- js-utils:/usr/src/app/packages/js-utils

and then to the volumes key father down the file add this::
js-utils: {}

This fixes the problems with dashboard and assignments!

I also notice that another module ('canvas-planner') that is in packages also has problems during the yarn run webpack:

ERROR in ./packages/canvas-planner/lib/actions/index.js Module not found: Error: Can't resolve '@instructure/js-utils' in '/usr/src/app/packages/canvas-planner/lib/actions'  @ ./packages/canvas-planner/lib/actions/index.js 22:0-66 101:18-25 101:26-42  @ ./packages/canvas-planner/lib/index.js  @ ./app/jsx/dashboard/DashboardHeader.js  @ ./app/jsx/bundles/dashboard.js  @ ./node_modules/bundles-generated.js  @ ./app/jsx/main.js  ERROR in ./packages/canvas-planner/lib/actions/loading-actions.js Module not found: Error: Can't resolve '@instructure/js-utils' in '/usr/src/app/packages/canvas-planner/lib/actions'  @ ./packages/canvas-planner/lib/actions/loading-actions.js 24:0-66 82:18-25 82:26-42 158:16-23 158:24-40  @ ./packages/canvas-planner/lib/actions/index.js  @ ./packages/canvas-planner/lib/index.js  @ ./app/jsx/dashboard/DashboardHeader.js  @ ./app/jsx/bundles/dashboard.js  @ ./node_modules/bundles-generated.js  @ ./app/jsx/main.js

My hypothesis is that a similar approach can be used to solve this problem. However, since the output of the yarn run webpack also show the following (edited to reduce the mass of output)

ERROR in ./packages/canvas-planner/lib/actions/loading-actions.js Module not found: Error: Can't resolve '@instructure/js-utils' in '/usr/src/app/packages/canvas-planner/lib/actions'  @ ./packages/canvas-planner/lib/actions/loading-actions.js 24:0-66 82:18-25 82:26-42 158:16-23 158:24-40  @ ./packages/canvas-planner/lib/actions/index.js  @ ./packages/canvas-planner/lib/index.js  @ ./app/jsx/dashboard/DashboardHeader.js  @ ./app/jsx/bundles/dashboard.js  @ ./node_modules/bundles-generated.js  @ ./app/jsx/main.js  ERROR in ./app/coffeescripts/media_comments/js_uploader.js Module not found: Error: Can't resolve '@instructure/k5uploader' in '/usr/src/app/app/coffeescripts/media_comments'  @ ./app/coffeescripts/media_comments/js_uploader.js 21:0-49 106:26-36 123:26-36  @ ./public/javascripts/media_comments.js  @ ./app/jsx/runOnEveryPageButDontBlockAnythingElse.js  @ ./app/jsx/main.js  ERROR in ./packages/canvas-rce/lib/bridge/Bridge.js Module not found: Error: Can't resolve '@instructure/k5uploader' in '/usr/src/app/packages/canvas-rce/lib/bridge'  @ ./packages/canvas-rce/lib/bridge/Bridge.js 21:0-49 69:38-48 ...  ERROR in ./packages/canvas-rce/lib/rce/ResizeHandle.js Module not found: Error: Can't resolve 'react-draggable' in '/usr/src/app/packages/canvas-rce/lib/rce'  @ ./packages/canvas-rce/lib/rce/ResizeHandle.js 22:0-48 65:27-40 ...    ModuleDependencyWarning: "export 'passthroughProps' was not found in '@instructure/ui-react-utils' ... ,   ModuleDependencyWarning: "export 'passthroughProps' was not found in '@instructure/ui-react-utils' ...  ]  98% after emitting SizeLimitsPlugin[ ModuleDependencyWarning: "export 'addInputModeListener' was not found in '@instructure/ui-dom-utils' ...,   ModuleDependencyWarning: "export 'passthroughProps' was not found in '@instructure/ui-react-utils' ...,   ModuleDependencyWarning: "export 'passthroughProps' was not found in '@instructure/ui-react-utils' ...

It makes me curious as to why all of these missing files include the path "@instructure". Is there some error in the configuration that leads to the packages not being found (despite the fact that doing a "yarn list" showed that "@instructure/js-utils" was installed)?.

I should note that I am a novice with respect to Javascript - so some of the problems might be operator error, but the Canvas source code was freshly installed via the quick start update script.