cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcarruth
Community Contributor

How do you create an assessment question bank with API?

The API for creating question groups (Quizzes::QuizGroupsController#create) references the assessment_question_bank_id

I can find no API calls for determine the id nor can it find any API calls to create the assessment_question_bank_id

Does anyone know how to create an assessment question bank using the Canvas API?

72024_pastedImage_0.png

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
8 Replies
ebenites
Community Participant

I have the same question, pls

mcarruth
Community Contributor

This was the answer that I got from Canvas support when I submitted a ticket, "Unfortunately, the Quiz Questions api is still in a beta phase, and may still have some breaking issues before it is released, and appears to be the cause of the errors we're seeing. Unfortunately, I don't have an ETA on when the API endpoints will be finalized, but I would recommend for the time being creating questions via the UI."

ebenites
Community Participant

Thanks so much, Martin

maguire
Community Champion

When will there be a question bank API? This weekend I manually moved 1500+ questions into different 176 different question banks from the Unfiled Questions question bank. It would be really great to have an API as I have another course with 3200+ questions that also need sorted into question banks. 

I should note that when I insert the questions I put them into question groups based upon their category (which is logically the question bank they should end up in). However, in the Unfiled Questions question bank they have lost this structure.

stuart_ryan
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi mcarruth,

I am going through having a look at some of the early days in the Canvas Developers group, and checking in to see if older enquiries have been answered. I also noticed there hasn’t been any discussion on this question in quite some time.

Hence I wanted to check in on the current status. I will also ping  @maguire here as well. I have found this feature idea https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/11546-add-question-bank-key-to-the-quiz-questions-api  however I don't think that would *completely* address the original query.

If this is something you are still interested in, I would highly recommend logging a Feature Idea in the Canvas Studio‌ space that we could look to vote on and champion!

Hope that helps and I look forward to hearing from you both!

Cheers,
Stuart

maguire
Community Champion

Not only is there no sign of an API for this in the existing quiz API, but there appears to be none in Quizzes.Next - see Question Bank API with Quizzes.Next 

Hence the new call for a Quiz Question Bank API https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/11546-add-question-bank-key-to-the-quiz-questions-api  is definitely needed.

Hi  @maguire ,

Thanks for that, I will definitely leave this open for the time being to see if we get any further discussion on it, and also to give visibility of the open feature idea.

Cheers,
Stuart

bbennett2
Community Champion

This is an old post, but there's an open Canvas Studio item for adding a Question Bank key to the API endpoint. More upvotes would be awesome

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/13218-add-question-bank-key-to-the-quiz-questions-api