How to identify which users are assigned to custom user roles and which courses they are loaded into

Jump to solution
mjennings
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello super smart Canvas developer people!

I am trying to track down which users within a sub-account have been assigned a custom user role and which courses they are loaded into with that role. I have inherited a sub-account where a bunch of roles were created and I am trying to clean things up, but I am having a hard time figuring out where these roles are being used and where. I am also trying to avoid breaking things if possible.

Additionally if anyone has any pro-tips for managing user account that would help me manage these better going forward, I am definitely open to it. 

I am just below a novice when trying to work with API's and code that is not HTML or CSS, so please talk down to me. 🙂

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Matthew 

2 Solutions
chadscott
Community Contributor

The easiest method would be to run an enrollments provisioning report for that sub-account. Then filter the roles for that custom role.

View solution in original post

James
Community Champion

Matthew doesn't like to do things the easy way. He also undersells his ability to do things.

Assuming you have access to the admin page to run the provisioning report, Chad is right. If you don't have access to that, see if you can get the report from someone that does. If neither of those is an option, then let us know (it's a much, much lengthier process).

When you generate the provisioning report, the enrollments.csv file has the role of the user in it. You will likely need the user.csv, course.csv, and section.csv files as well to make sense out of it, although the enrollments.csv has the SIS course, section, and user IDs in it, so you may not need it. The SIS IDs are the ones without the canvas_ prefix.

View solution in original post