Only GET Requests Sent to External Tool

Jump to solution
twodee
Community Member

Hi, I'm looking into creating my own external tools. I've set up a web service that is running over HTTPS. I've manually configured my tool in Settings / Apps. I've added a name, secret, launch URL, and some custom fields. Privacy is set to public. The app is successfully registered.

When I then add a new assignment with the submission type External Tool and enter the URL of the service's launch endpoint, Canvas issues a GET request to my service. No custom fields are included, nor is there any data in the request beyond the generic HTTP headers. Isn't Canvas supposed to issue a POST request with more information that my service can use?

I'm new to LTI development, so there's a good chance I'm missing something fundamental. Any help is appreciated!

0 Likes
1 Solution
twodee
Community Member

I found the issue. I had forgotten to include the port number that my service was running on. A different web server was handling the URL and redirecting the request. Somewhere in that redirection the request turned into a GET request. When I do include the port number, the web service receives receives the expected POST request.

View solution in original post

0 Likes