Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nnyby
Community Member

Using grade passback with multiple Canvas assignments

Jump to solution

Hi,

I've developed a tool that can be used as an external tool in Canvas. The way it works is, instructors create a quiz in my tool, embed this quiz in Canvas using the External Tool feature, then students can make a submission on this quiz.

I'm running to a problem here. If a student makes a submission on assignment A, then assignment B, their score for assignment B overwrites their assignment A score. And in the Assignments list, Canvas still has a null score for assignment B.

Is there something I need to pass in to Canvas that I'm missing? By the way, I'm using this django library for the LTI connection: GitHub - ccnmtl/django-lti-provider: django-lti-provider adds LTI functionality for the Django web f... 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for your help. I think I've actually solved this problem, thanks to help from my co-worker, who actually developed this django-lti-provider library. We'll be making a new release soon that addresses this issue.

The issue is that our library saves the original lis_result_sourcedid value in the session, then re-uses that when the student goes to the new assignment. The fix is just to re-initialize the authentication process each time the student views the assignment.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
stuart_ryan
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @nnyby  and Welcome to the Canvas Community,

One thing that comes to mind would be to possibly change where and how the quizzes are created.

Canvas offers the option under assignments to use an external LTI tool as an assignment. While you are unable to embed these inline with content, it does provide the benefit that each quiz/assignment you create, would have its own gradebook column to store the grade passback.

Would that possibly be something that might work? It may require a little re-architecting of the LTI (possibly).

Hope that helps!
Stuart

Yeah I'm using Canvas's assignments, not quizzes, for this tool, because it doesn't look like you can connect an External Tool to a quiz. I was calling the objects that I'm creating quizzes just as a general term - really they are graphs.

Gotcha, hmm and you are unable to get multiple grades coming back, that is unusual. Apologies I cannot help further. I know it is entirely possible because things such as Turnitin achieve this.

Hopefully someone else will be able to chime in to point you in the right direction.
Cheers,
Stuart

Thanks for your help. I think I've actually solved this problem, thanks to help from my co-worker, who actually developed this django-lti-provider library. We'll be making a new release soon that addresses this issue.

The issue is that our library saves the original lis_result_sourcedid value in the session, then re-uses that when the student goes to the new assignment. The fix is just to re-initialize the authentication process each time the student views the assignment.

View solution in original post

Hi  @nnyby ,

That is great news, and thank you for coming back to let us know what the fix was. Glad to know you managed to get it all sorted.

Cheers,
Stuart