[ARCHIVED] Account Set up incorrectly as Student instead of Parent

Jump to solution
rissabri
Community Member

My husband and I both followed the instructions to set up Parent accounts provided by our district.

It looks as though our accounts were set up as student accounts instead of parent accounts though....

Our web view looks identical to our childrens views and when we do the QR code for mobile log in, it will not log us in to the parent app but when we used it with the Student app, it logged us in right away.

School starts tomorrow and we doing 100% online learning so this is incredibly important to have fixed, please HELP!

P.S. I have already submitted tickets to Canvas a few days ago with no replies.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Solutions
rmurchshafer
Community Champion

So there is no actual "parent" account; all accounts are actually the same in Canvas.  It's how you are added to a course which controls if you have Parent (also known as Observer) access.  After your account was created were there some steps to pair it to your child?  That should have made your role in the class to be an Parent and I could see the Parent App not letting you log in until you have that role in the class.

I'm guessing a little on this because my experience is mostly in higher Ed where we don't do parent accounts.  You might want to contact your local school tech support as well because there could be some school specific settings which could prevent you from getting access until classes actual start tomorrow.

Good luck; this is stressful for us all but we'll get though it 😊

Rick

View solution in original post

I agree with @rmurchshafer -- Contacting your local Canvas administrator at your school or district office would be the best step to get the user role sorted out and get you connected with your student.

View solution in original post

0 Likes