Students Editing Pages Canvas App Error

Jump to solution
AndreaN
Community Member

We are trying to set up individual pages for Junior School students to edit and upload images of their school work (we didn't want this as an assignment as it is more of an ongoing learning journal of highlights throughout the year). I have set up a trial page and chosen editable by students and teachers, and assigned it to a specific student.  When students edit the page within the Canvas app it has an error message "Failed to send files! Something went wrong with uploading files" or "User not authorised to perform that action". It has this error message when taking a photo or uploading a photo taken on the iPad. It has worked when using the web browser, but this is more clunky for students in the iPad than the app. Please help resolve this!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
stimme
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @AndreaN , I believe the reason that your students are seeing errors when trying to upload images from the Canvas Student app is that it does not allow them to specify the location to save the files as My Files instead of Course Files, but they don't have permission to save to Course Files. You might wish to submit a feature idea saying students should be able to upload/save images to My Files when editing a page in the Student app ( How do I create a new idea in the Instructure Community? ), but those go slowly if at all.

The alternative you might consider for these journals is a group discussion connected to a group set where every student is alone in a group. Each student will see their own replies only. If students are allowed to add attachments to discussion replies (which is the default), they'll see the Attach button when composing a reply in the Canvas Student app, just like in browsers, and it works.

View solution in original post