Allow students to see instructor replies only on Discussions

Jump to solution
kylecage0
Community Explorer

If the discussion is set to "users must post before seeing replies," is there a way to allow the students to still see replies from their instructor? Many of our instructors like to post a "starter post" in their weekly discussions but we have them set up so that students can't see replies until they have posted. We'd like to allow them to see these starter posts from the instructor while still not being able to see the replies from their classmates until they have posted. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Solutions
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello @kylecage0 …

This is interesting.  Unfortunately, I don’t believe there is a way for only the instructor reply to show for students while keeping the student replies hidden until they have replied.  So, I have a question…. Why not just include that “starter post” as part of the initial instructions/discussion prompt for the topic?  For example, in body of the topic text/prompt, the instructor would include the instructions that students need, and then right below that would be a heading something like “Starter Post” (or whatever words the instructor wanted to use) and the starter post text below it…so that it’s always visible for the students.  Would that be a workable solution for your instructors?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @kylecage0 - I did a quick search through Ideas, and I wonder if Visibility of instructor replies to discussions would help you accomplish what you hope to within Discussion. If so, please join that conversation and rate (star) the Idea to receive updates.

View solution in original post