cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John_Gaspar
Community Participant

Canvas Commons; is it possible to group pages

Is it possible in Commons to group uploaded content?

I want to give teachers access to a range of page templates. If I upload them as a course the teachers can only download as a course, not individual pages so I'd prefer to upload as pages, but to group them into a folder or channel or something so they are easy to access.

Any ideas?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello @John_Gaspar ...

As far as I know, you cannot group content that you've shared to Canvas Commons...once it has been shared to Canvas Commons.  However, instead of creating a full course and share that to Commons, why not just create a module within a course and put all the pages that you want to share within that module?  Then, share the module to Commons for your teachers?  It seems to me that would accomplish something similar to what you are asking.  You'd have full control over all the content that was shared within that module, and you could update it as needed.  Do you think that might be a workable solution for your needs?

How do I share a resource to Commons?

I hope this will be of some help to you, John.  Let Community members know if we can be of further help to you.  Take care...stay safe...be well.

John_Gaspar
Community Participant

Thanks for the suggestion @chofer and using a module instead of a whole course would be a better way to do it. It still leaves the problem that someone would have to download a module of perhaps 25 pages, and then delete most of them to use the ones they need.

That makes sense, @John_Gaspar ...

I suppose you could share each content page separately in Commons and be sure to include details about the content that would make it easily searchable.  Specifically, you could add tags to each of the content pages you share to Commons with a unique tag name...so that when people visit Commons to find those items, they can not only drill down to the content only shared inside of your school but also filter it by tag name that you've established.

How do I share a resource to Commons? - Instructure Community

Even though it's technically not a group or folder holding similar content, the tag is sort of mimicking a group or folder.  You might want to give that a try with one or two of your content pages to see if it might meet your needs for now.

Hope this helps a bit...

John_Gaspar
Community Participant

@chofer I'll play around with Tags and see if that gets me to where I want to be. Thanks again.