Canvas Notifications for Student Replies to Announcements

Jump to solution
landonb
Community Novice

I am not receiving notifications in my email when students reply to my announcements.  I believe I may have figured out why but do not know how to remedy it.  The information I have read is that I will receive notifications if I am the person who created the announcement, which I am.  

Previously I learned how to import announcements from one section to another and that is what I did this semester.  Here is the problem, when I imported them my picture did not appear with each of them as it does when I create a new announcement.  I am guessing there is a link error as it is not noting that both courses are mine.  I am guessing that since my picture does not appear, it does not recognize it is my announcement and therefore does not send me the notification.  

How do I help Canvas recognize that the announcement is mine if I Import it?

1 Solution
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@landonb , greetings! It's not a link error that your picture doesn't show up as the person who created the announcement. This is actually a known feature to help with Instructional Designers and others who build courses for people and wouldn't want their names showing up on the course for students, so once a course is copied, it removes the name and picture for announcements and discussions.

For the main issue, of you not getting notifications about your announcements, I believe you are correct. I double-checked Announcement notifications and it does specifically say it's for "Replies to announcements you've created." I'm not sure there is a way to get Canvas to recognize announcements as "yours" if they are imported - mainly for the reason above - lots of people create announcements for classes that aren't theirs and they WANT Canvas to forget that they've created the announcement once it's copied. You could create a feature idea for this in the Ideas‌ area of the Community. That way others could comment and vote on the importance of having this functionality.

Kona  

View solution in original post