Canvas is not letting me view files without downloading them. Is there a way to fix this?

Jump to solution
u1021367
Community Novice

I can't view any of the files or powerpoints for my classes without downloading them. Is there a way to fix this?

2 Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @u1021367  Welcome to the worldwide Canvas Community!  Hanna, this should be a setting that can be enabled in the browser you are using.  I did a quick search using everyone's favorite search engine, Google, and found this for Chrome users:  How to Change Google Chrome Downloads Settings: 7 Steps  and this for Firefox users:  Change what Firefox does when you click on or download a file | Firefox Help .  I did not check others, but I imagine you can find similar settings for most other browsers.

Insofar as Canvas specifically is concerned, IF your instructors have left the Files menu area available (and not all do), if you head to Files and click directly on the file name, Canvas should automatically display it in the Canvas previewer, which is called DocViewer; it should not be downloading it.

Hope this helps a bit.

[Last second edit] - Oh, and most attachments in Assignments, Pages, etc. should have a little magnifying glass/previewer icon next to it.  This allows you to preview the document in the DocViewer program without downloading it.

View solution in original post

@lhughes ...

Thank you for sharing the short video.  (I think I'd now recommend that you remove that video from your response because it shows student names and grades...which is a privacy concern / FERPA.)

I think you hit the nail on the head at the end of your video when you noticed how the attachments are displayed differently.  For example, I logged into my own sandbox course, and then I went to the student view to post a reply to a discussion topic:

Screenshot 2023-04-28 144113.jpg

For the "Written Assignment Text Entry.docx" file (which you'll notice also has the arrow pointing down), this file was added within the Rich Content Editor (RCE) following the steps in this Guide:

How do I embed a document from Canvas into the Ric... - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

For the "sample.docx" file (which does not have the arrow pointing down...but does have the words "Attached File:" before the file name), this was added to the same reply but following the steps in this Guide:

How do I attach a file to a discussion reply as a ... - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

So...if you want to be able to view the attachments within Canvas in the future (and not have to download them so that you are needing to open them in MS Word), you're going to need to provide very detailed directions on how you want your students to attach their files...otherwise, you are going to continue to run into this issue.

Hope this will help a bit!  Good luck!

View solution in original post

0 Likes