Canvas support for multi resource Deep Linking responses

darrensiegel
Community Member

The LTI Deep Linking 2.0 specification allows the Deep Linking Response message to contain any number of selected or created resources from a tool.  The Platform is then responsible for adding all of these resources into the current context (a module, for Canvas I suspect).

Canvas REST API documentation seems to suggest that Canvas only supports DL response messages that contain one resource. The docs I saw this at is: https://canvas.instructure.com/doc/api/file.link_selection_placement.html (under the section "Limitations / Challenges"). 

Is there a plan to support multiple items in a Deep Linking Response message? 

If not, what is the suggested alternative to a Deep Linking launch that can result in multiple items being created in a Canvas course?  It seems that perhaps an "on the fly Common Cartridge" can be generated in a tool and used to target a "migration_placement". 

Ultimately my use case is that I have a curriculum building tool that needs to replicate a course structure in the LMS by creating some number of modules, each of which would contain resources (primarily LTI external tool launches back to specific resources in the tool). 

0 Likes