Extending Course Access for Single Student for Incompletes

Jump to solution
RandyJackson
Community Member

I have noticed a few older questions surrounding this topic, but wanted to follow-up since I am searching for a different option if possible than having to create a new section.

We often will have students that require an incomplete for their course and being new to my institution, I have noticed quite the colorful array of methods utilized to grant students access past the course end date.  One issue I run into as I am sure most of you have, we have faculty that utilize Publisher content from their sites to integrate into the Canvas classroom.  To create a new section, requires having to recreate and resync the Canvas course with the publisher.

I have seen the previous questions of is there is a way to extend an existing course so that only that those students requiring access to finish course assignments for an incomplete, can do so but have not seen a clear solution.  

Is there is way in Canvas to accomplish this so a Administrator I simply need to make a few adjustments on my end to allow them access to the same course after it expires, instead of creating a new section?  The other issue we run into is having more and more of our courses utilizing digital integration of textbooks and materials, so it would make life much easier to have method to simply allow the one or two students continued access to the same course.  Even if we need to develop a script, just a few leas on accomplishing that would be helpful so I could get my IT team working on it.

1 Solution
mzimmerman
Community Contributor

Hi @RandyJackson 

At my school, we do this by adding an "Incomplete" section to the class, setting the dates on the section to the dates we want to student to have access, then enrolling the student and the instructor in the "Incomplete" section.

We used to do this manually, but now we have a web form to do the processing.  Not sure how this process works with external publisher materials, though.

View solution in original post