cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TechRav

Hide Assignment from students

Jump to solution

I am a Canvas newbie but I know what I am asking was possible in my previous gradebook (from Haiku/ PowerSchool Learning) so I am hoping there is a way to do this in Canvas as well.

I give a weekly class participation grade which I might or might not want to hide from students. Either way, I certainly don't want the Gradebook entry titled "Participation Week X" to appear for students on their To Do list as it would for a regular assignment. How can I make an entry so it is a column I can grade in my gradebook which I can grade but does not show up for students in their To Do list or under Assignments? I tried adding it as an Unpublished Assignment but this did not help since I was then not able to make a gradebook entry.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steph_T
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @TechRav 

There may be some limitations for this, but you should have the option to Unpublish the assignment until you are ready for students to see this. Keep in mind however, if an assignment already has submissions, you likely will not be able to unpublish.

Our guide for How do I publish or unpublish an assignment as an instructor? will walk you through how to do this. If the assignment is not published, it will not be visible on the students To-Do List. Hope this information has been helpful! 

Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns! 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
nwilson7
Community Champion

@TechRav There is currently not a way to hide an assignment like you are wanting from a student.  There is a feature request here that is similar for that though:  Hide non-graded assignments from the Grades page - Instructure Community

I am trying to think of a workaround and you could either not put a due date on it or put one that is like a day after courses end so that it would not show each week.

Hope that helps!

-Nick

Steph_T
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @TechRav 

There may be some limitations for this, but you should have the option to Unpublish the assignment until you are ready for students to see this. Keep in mind however, if an assignment already has submissions, you likely will not be able to unpublish.

Our guide for How do I publish or unpublish an assignment as an instructor? will walk you through how to do this. If the assignment is not published, it will not be visible on the students To-Do List. Hope this information has been helpful! 

Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns! 

0 Kudos
greydon
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @TechRav 

Thank you for contacting the Canvas Community. We're sorry to hear you've been experiencing issues with hiding assignment/attendance grades from students. You can certainly hide a particular assignment from students by changing the assignment to a manual posting policy which will hide it by default. Alternatively, you can "hide" the grades in the gradebook but for what you described, I recommend simply changing the policy. You can always revert it back  when you are ready for them to see it.

Here is the Canvas guide:

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-select-a-grade-posting-policy-for-an-as...

or

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-hide-or-post-assignment-grades-in-Speed...