How can you create a conditional path between two exams where students can't see the points needed to move to the second exam?

Jump to solution
rachel_goc
Community Member

One of our departments would like to have a placement exam where the have students take the first assessment and then, if they reach a certain score, they move onto a second placement exam. This relationship can be set through Prerequisite/Requirement, HOWEVER, in the student view they can see the score that is needed to move to the second assessment. The department would not like that information to be available to students or even for them to know that there is a second assessment possible.

I've also investigated mastery paths, but again, information about the score and second assessment is present in student view. Has anyone solved this problem?

Thanks

Rachel

0 Likes
1 Solution
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @rachel_goc  Welcome to the Canvas Community. While I cannot offer solution, I can tell you that muting (to use the soon-to-be-outdated terminology) will NOT work for this situation, because that was exactly what was tried as the work-around.  I had this exact situation occur a few years ago with a placement test with a very similar scenario for faculty at my own institution.  The quiz scores were "muted" but if students got the required score to move on to the next exam, they were unable to because it was muted, even though this had worked for us previously.  I cannot remember the case number, but I kept the answer that I received from Instructure support about this...which was during the summer of 2017:

I went ahead and confirmed with our Product team that this is working as intended. You are correct that previous to our 6/24/17 release students were allowed to progress past muted quizzes with the "Score at least" requirement but that should have never been possible and so it was fixed in our 6/24/17 release. The reasoning for this is that muted assignments should show no indication to the student as to what their score is. If a student were to be allowed to progress past a quiz, then that would indicate to the student that their grade is at least above a certain number, which goes against the whole purpose of muting an assignment. As such modules have been updated to ignore all progression requirements when an assignment is muted, in order to not reveal any indication to the student as to what their grade is on the muted assignment. Once the assignment is unmuted, they will receive their grade and be allowed to progress.

In other words, it does not appear that Canvas will allow grades to be hidden at all when there is a requirement to earn a specific score to move along to the next sequence of something.

View solution in original post

0 Likes